Upgrading boot disk on a 2.1.5 system

Post by Mark A-J. Raugh » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I would say either:

1. set the new drive to target 0

or

2. edit the /etc/fstab file to reflect the change to target 6 (see the
device section... I think that is what would need to change, man fstab
if needed)

-mark

> I have an oldish server running 2.1.5. It has one SCSI disk, on target
> 0 and a CD on target 6.

> The disk is getting on and starting to show signs of impending
> failure. So I have obtained a new disk, and temporarily removed the CD
> and fitted the disk in its place. I set it up as SCSI 6 for no other
> reason than that was used by the CD.

> I have used fdisk and disklabel to create partitions, and I have used
> a dump/restore pipe to copy over all the partitions from the old disk.
> At this point the old disk is called sd0 and the new one sd1.

> If I then just remove the old disk and reboot, it starts to boot just
> fine from the new disk, which is now seen as sd0. However at some
> point during the boot, presumably when it starts mounting filesystems,
> it throws up a "panic: can't mount root", and restarts.

> All the partitions on the new disk are fine, I can mount them without
> problems.

> There is an entry in the FAQ about this error, but it is written for
> the situation where IDE drives are being used, not SCSI, so I don't
> know how relevant it is. It states the problem is due to the boot
> blocks having a record of the root partition which is not one the
> kernel can deal with.

> Question: how can I determine/change the boot block's view of what the
> root filesystem is on a 2.1.5 system?

> Jim Hatfield

1. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

I have a root disk that was created with rawrite.  It is the color.gz
image.  I would like to mount the root disk and make some modifications
to the disk (adding nfs server capability).

I have tried mounting with various file system types and have had no
luck.

So, how can I mount it to make these modifications, or the bigger
question, how can I easily add nfs server capability to the basic
boot/root disk combination.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. PICTURE VIEWER FOR UNIX ?

3. Trying to setup a boot disk for linux 1.2.3/non-system disk error

4. USB-Printer in SUSE 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.16) - Setup-Probleme

5. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

6. gzip executable for SCO Operserver 5

7. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

8. Using dlopen/dlsym with C++ under Linux

9. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

10. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

11. Booting scsi disks in 2 IDE disk systems

12. Solaris 10 SVM fails to boot from mirrored disk on 2 disk system; need help!