using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

Post by Tarkan Akda » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,,

HAs anyone used FreeBSD to act as a fileserver for a DOS based
computer,,

Does anyone know the setup required on FreeBSD and the software
I need on DOS and also reccommend ways of connecting them together
i.e parrallel port or serial  or network card ?

can anyone help?

thanks Tarkan

Post by W. Marshal » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> HAs anyone used FreeBSD to act as a fileserver for a DOS based
> computer,,
> Does anyone know the setup required on FreeBSD and the software
> I need on DOS and also reccommend ways of connecting them together
> i.e parrallel port or serial  or network card ?

With the price of ethernet cards so cheap now, it's the only way to go.
For this purpose, pcnfs works just fine.

For the DOS side, you will need the appropriate packet driver for your
particular network card, and an nfs client.  Go to the Simtel archive, the
nfs directory.  I have used xfs186.zip.  This is shareware; perhaps there
are other sources that are free.

For the FreeBSD side, run the pcnfsd daemon.  Refer to the usual
documentation for configuration.  You will export directories off your
FreeBSD box that will be just like drive letters on your DOS machine.

As with everything about FreeBSD, this is just damn sweet!

--
W. Marshall

using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

Post by Reed La » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

May I use SAMBA for UNIX side, and use "MSClient 3.0 for DOS" for DOS client?
My idea is come from http://samba.gorski.net/samba/samba.html ... The samba
seems to support more clients with SMB/CIFS.
What advantage and disadvantage between samba and pcnfsd?

Brgds
Reed Lai

Post by Vallo Kallas » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Yes, but you will need to use TCP/IP as your protocol.  The MSClient
>TCP/IP stack is TSR based, uses lots of RAM below 640K, and is slow.  It
>may be better to use WfWG with the MS 32-bit TCP/IP stack if possible -
>this needs a 486 in 4MB as a minimum but is easy to setup and fast.

***

Yes, it eats huge amount of memory. I can't got it correctly working
before using QEMM. You should try it out for best results.

Vallo Kallaste