Access-control Lists?

Post by Michael Maxwel » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm curious (and hopeful) as to whether BSD can support some form of
ACL for files/directories?  My guess is that this is something that
would have to be implemented in the filesystem code itself, but is
there any type of user program that can do something similar?  I was
referred (for whatever reason) to Kerberos, though I see nothing in
the docs about file ACL's or anything even vaguely similar.

If BSD does not currently have any way of doing this, are there plans
for it in the future?

--
Michael Maxwell  <drwho at xnet.com> | Fight Email Abuse! www.cauce.org
  UNIX Geek, Programmer, Systems Administrator, Professional Target

Access-control Lists?

Post by N. C. Hon » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

chmod doesn't work for you?

Quote:

> I'm curious (and hopeful) as to whether BSD can support some form of
> ACL for files/directories?  My guess is that this is something that
> would have to be implemented in the filesystem code itself, but is
> there any type of user program that can do something similar?  I was
> referred (for whatever reason) to Kerberos, though I see nothing in
> the docs about file ACL's or anything even vaguely similar.

> If BSD does not currently have any way of doing this, are there plans
> for it in the future?

> --
> Michael Maxwell  <drwho at xnet.com> | Fight Email Abuse! www.cauce.org
>   UNIX Geek, Programmer, Systems Administrator, Professional Target
>                                <-- This space intentionally left blank.

Access-control Lists?

Post by Michael Maxwel » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> chmod doesn't work for you?

No, unfortunately, in this case, it goes a little beyond the normal
user/group/other permission sets.  But it looks like I may have to
figure something out with it...

--
Michael Maxwell  <drwho at xnet.com> | Fight Email Abuse! www.cauce.org
  UNIX Geek, Programmer, Systems Administrator, Professional Target
                               <-- This space intentionally left blank.

1. Specific Permissinon Control//Access Control List for Linux?

Is there a way that a regular user (non superuser) on Linux can
specifically control which other users can see his files?  For
example, suppose I want a certain friend to be able to read certain
files but not anyone else.

On the (old) HP's at Idaho State this can be done with an Access
Control List, which each file may have.  The draw back is that
consumes a little more diskspace.  Is something like this possible
within Linux?

John Thompson
--
http://www.isu.edu/~thomjohn/

2. Multi thread under linux in C

3. ACL (access control list) howto list them?

4. Perl 5.003 compilation problems.

5. Access Control Lists

6. AXP150 aka Jensen

7. Access Control Lists/chmod/stat

8. nfs problem 2.4.19-pre9

9. access control lists in RHL6.2

10. Access Control Lists (ACLs) and other questions

11. Getting RID of Access Control Lists (ACLs)

12. Access Control Lists and UFS inodes

13. Access control lists and Linux