Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.0 without making the world ??

Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.0 without making the world ??

Post by Rauli Ilmari Rautavuo » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to upgrade an existing 3.4 system to 4.0 without
doing 'make world' ? Of course I could just format the disk(s)
and do a complete reinstall - but then I'd have to do all the
'tuning' again.

The FreeBSD handbook does not seem to  answer the question.
Is there any documentation on this? Or is the anwer just 'no' ?

--
  Rauli Rautavuori, Student of Engineering, Class ST-4A (2000 - 01)
  Helsinki Institute of Technology, Telecommunications technology

Post by Nick Hilliar » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Is it possible to upgrade an existing 3.4 system to 4.0 without
> doing 'make world' ? Of course I could just format the disk(s)
> and do a complete reinstall - but then I'd have to do all the
> 'tuning' again.

You could use /stand/sysinstall, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea - a lot
of stuff in /etc/ has changed significantly.  Upgrading from source isn't a bad
way to go, but you'll end up with a cleaner configuration if you re-install.

Nick

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Is it possible to upgrade an existing 3.4 system to 4.0 without
> > doing 'make world' ? Of course I could just format the disk(s)
> > and do a complete reinstall - but then I'd have to do all the
> > 'tuning' again.

> You could use /stand/sysinstall, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea - a lot
> of stuff in /etc/ has changed significantly.  Upgrading from source isn't a bad
> way to go, but you'll end up with a cleaner configuration if you re-install.

Use the sysinstall from the *new* version, and it should work fine.  You'll
need to do some tweaking of the /etc files (I'd recommend an *extra* backup
of etc, beyond the normal backups you'd always have before touching the
system anyway), but I think that will be about the only problem.

1. Upgrading from 3.4 -> 4.0

Has anybody tried upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 via make world?

I can get a clean build, but make install fails.  After its churned
partway through the install, things fail, and everything dies with a
sig 12, and then the machine crashes.

After that, the system is unusable.  It won't even come up
single user.   When it tries to go single user, /bin/sh dies with a
signal 12.  I've resuscitated it with the 3.4 boot floppies, so I can
try again, but I'm not sure what to suspect.  My first hunch was
hardware problems, but it survives make buildworld with no problems.

Any ideas?

--

        Anarchy: It's not the Law, It's just a good Idea.

2. Can I use Driver for SCO UNIX on Linux ?

3. Problem with X after 3.4 -> 4.0 upgrade

4. SuperCache and memcpy()

5. make world from 3.4 to 4.0

6. Name of makefile

7. Upgrade 3.4 to 4.0, two questions

8. ANNOUNCEMENT: IPT ships new release of uSHARE - FILE SHARING SOFTWARE

9. easiest way to upgrade 3.4 to 4.0 or 4.1

10. Upgrade from slackware 3.4 to 4.0

11. Is this the right way to upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0 with cvsup?

12. FreeBSD 3.4 to 4.0 upgrade problem ("bad sector table not supported" problem)

13. 3.4 -> 4.0: Nexus problems??