FreeBSD - WinNT networking Question

Post by _Ale » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[ aslk < 1K ]

Hi,

Current setup:

WinNT WWW server connected to a FreeBSD NS via ethernet.  Multiple IP was configured on the NT box by assigning IP's to the network card and then mapped in iis3 - and an entry in the primary ns records on FreeBSD box.

The NT box is about to be connected via PPP modem connection.

Question - how do I map the same IP's through the serial port?

thanks in advance,

Alek.

1. WinNT question + Linux networking question

Hello everybody!
This first question isn't really a linux networking question but I thought
people working with linux prob know a lot about networking so anyways:

Ive read things on samba and i understand (hopefully) that it is a way to
let different computers share files and printers, particularly so for M$ Win
computers. But on my school computers, everyone has a different login name
and password for WinNT, and they log in from any computer connected to the
network and have their own private U: drive, and can use network resources,
whats that sort of networking called? is it possible to do that with linux?

My second question is what ill need to build a linux gateway + firewall.
Because I might be getting broadband internet (is ADSL the same thing?), i
want to setup a Linux gateway + firewall computer so my (future) home
network can all share that internet and also hide behind the firewall. Im
doing reading on how to get linux to do that, i just want to know for sure
what i need in terms of hardware. I think I'll need:
a computer with linux running (would a P200MMX do?), a NIC for that comp, a
network hub that connects the linux comp with the rest of the comps in my
house (theyr Win9x and WinXP and are currently not networked at all) and a
broadband modem for the linux comp. Would that work?

btw If you know any sites that has tutorials on these things please let me
know the URL, thanks in advance!

2. dip server won't automatically update routing

3. FreeBSD & WinNT + WIN95- Bootmanager doesn't recognise FreeBSD-HD

4. Time etalon site needed

5. Linux/WinNT networking question

6. Problem - telnet from linux dropping connections

7. Linux/WinNT/Win95 inter-network question(s)

8. Shell scripts and printing: can't get 1 to work w/out the other. HELP!

9. linux internet w/ winNT network -questions-

10. New to Networking: WinNT network, Dynamic IP addressing, Passwords..?

11. FreeBSD firewall question + a really dumb question(yes I'm new to FreeBSD)

12. WinNT under Linux or Linux under WinNT (was Re: Emulator for IMB)

13. disklabel trouble & booting FreeBSD from WinNT