FreeBSD & IDE CD-ROM Compatibility

Post by Sridhar Krishna » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

I have been following the thread on Linux vs. FreeBSD and IDE CD Woes.  As
a potential customer of FreeBSD, this discussion worries me.

I would like to run FreeBSD on my Aptiva which uses IDE CD-ROM off the IDE
Controller (not from the sound-card). Is there a way to ensure the
compatibility of FreeBSD ahead of purchase ?

Thanks,

Sridhar Krishnan

1. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

Finally!

As I posted recently, I got the TA CD-ROM, and found that the setup kernel
recognized the CD drive, but the installed one didn't. I had trouble with
the recompile, as well.

The answer is:
    in (I think it's) /etc/include/linux/drivers/blocks, there are *two*
        makefiles. One is named Makefile, the other Makefile.orig. When
        I diffed them, I discovered Makefile.orig *had* conditions for
        compiling the Mitsumi driver, the Soundblaster driver, and one
        other driver, and Makefile *didn't*. I renamed both, and reran
        the compile. No problems, using lilo (after the usual moving &
        /etc/lilo/install) I boot off my hard drive, I can mount the
        CD ROM, etc.

I am emailing TA this, as well.

        mark

2. Help NCR53c810 SCSI install failing

3. IDE CD-ROM's & IDE HDD

4. innd newsfeeds...

5. 4 ide drives & Mitsumi (IDE/ATAPI) CD-ROM via SB

6. Choosing between a.out or ELF

7. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

8. v.1.2.8 and EtherExpress card

9. NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM (Gateway IDE CD-ROM)

10. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

11. Mitsumi 4X IDE CD-ROM compatibility

12. IDE CD-ROM compatibility survey

13. IDE CD-ROM compatibility