FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
using any other OS other than their own.

Donn

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
> using any other OS other than their own.

Here's the url:

http://x10.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=428872365&search=thread&threaded...

How can you tell what OS web sites are running?  Can you do it with dig
or traceroute?

Donn

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by DrBoo » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
> using any other OS other than their own.

> Donn

Sounds bogus to me. An easy way to see what the _web_ server is running
is to use Netcraft's site. www.netcraft.com ... other tools will let you
do the same thing. I use Netcat for stuff like that.

-j

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Josef Moeller » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
> > FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
> > truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
> > using any other OS other than their own.

> > Donn

> Sounds bogus to me. An easy way to see what the _web_ server is running
> is to use Netcraft's site. www.netcraft.com ... other tools will let you
> do the same thing. I use Netcat for stuff like that.

It's M$'s www.hotmail.com that's using some UN*X derivate. AFAIK it's
Solaris, but it could just as well be Linux or FreeBSD. One thing's for
sure, it's not NT!
Note: Although it's a M$ site, it doesn't tell you what OS it's running
B-{)

--

        UNIX - Live free or die!
PS Dieser Artikel enthaelt einzig und allein meine persoenlichen

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by DrBoo » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> It's M$'s www.hotmail.com that's using some UN*X derivate. AFAIK it's
> Solaris, but it could just as well be Linux or FreeBSD. One thing's for
> sure, it's not NT!
> Note: Although it's a M$ site, it doesn't tell you what OS it's running
> B-{)

This has been beaten to death in here, but here it is again for
hotmail.com AFAIK:

Front-end http = FreeBSD
Actual mail = Solaris
Other stuff = NT

Post by pe.. » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> > I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
>> > FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
>> > truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
>> > using any other OS other than their own.

>> > Donn

>> Sounds bogus to me. An easy way to see what the _web_ server is running
>> is to use Netcraft's site. www.netcraft.com ... other tools will let you
>> do the same thing. I use Netcat for stuff like that.
> It's M$'s www.hotmail.com that's using some UN*X derivate. AFAIK it's
> Solaris, but it could just as well be Linux or FreeBSD. One thing's for
> sure, it's not NT!
> Note: Although it's a M$ site, it doesn't tell you what OS it's running
> B-{)

netcraft will tell that hotmail runs freebsd and apache.

peter h

> --

>    UNIX - Live free or die!
> PS Dieser Artikel enthaelt einzig und allein meine persoenlichen
> Ansichten!
> PS This article contains my own, personal opinion only!

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by (John Auld » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:45:28 +0000, Donn Miller

>How can you tell what OS web sites are running?  Can you do it with dig
>or traceroute?

>Donn

Satan can identify the remote OS type by examining IP packet
information.

I don't know if this method is totally reliable as a way to identify
the web site OS because the route to the web server may transparently
pass though a proxy server. So, you might get the OS type of the proxy
rather than the web server. (This is just a thought and not a
statement of fact).

John Auld

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Joe Abl » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
>> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
>> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
>> using any other OS other than their own.

>> Donn

>Sounds bogus to me. An easy way to see what the _web_ server is running
>is to use Netcraft's site. www.netcraft.com ... other tools will let you
>do the same thing. I use Netcat for stuff like that.

  /usr/ports/net/queso

gives correct results, occasionally :)

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by pe.. » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> It's M$'s www.hotmail.com that's using some UN*X derivate. AFAIK it's
> Solaris, but it could just as well be Linux or FreeBSD. One thing's for
> sure, it's not NT!

Which makes sense because Microsoft bought Hotmail.  There are lots of
tools to investigate web sites, but the best by far is good ol'
telnet.  To wit:

$ telnet www.hotmail.com 80
Trying 207.82.252.251...
Connected to www.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0
{you type a carriage return here}
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:33:07 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2.1
Last-Modified: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:32:49 GMT
ETag: "27655-16a7-3676ffb1"

<head>
<title>Hotmail - The World's FREE Web-Based Email</title>

Snip snip snip.

Quote:> Note: Although it's a M$ site, it doesn't tell you what OS it's running
> B-{)

You *may* be able to determine the type of host using nslookup.  For
example:

$ nslookup

Quote:> set type=hinfo
> www.widgetworks.com

Server:  ns1.mindspring.com
Address:  207.69.188.185

www.widgetworks.com     canonical name = homer.widgetworks.com
homer.widgetworks.com   CPU = SPARC2    OS = SOLARIS

Snip...

The information provided by nslookup is merely the info in the DNS
database, which may or may not be correct.  Homer.widgetworks.com
hasn't been a Sparc 2 for several years now.

It is true that many of the microsoft servers *did* return Solaris in
the OS field at one point (this is perhaps the origin of the rumor)
but they have since been "cleansed."

Peter Johansson

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Robert Yode » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> >> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
> >> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
> >> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
> >> using any other OS other than their own.

> >> Donn

> >Sounds bogus to me. An easy way to see what the _web_ server is running
> >is to use Netcraft's site. www.netcraft.com ... other tools will let you
> >do the same thing. I use Netcat for stuff like that.

>   /usr/ports/net/queso

> gives correct results, occasionally :)

nmap 2.0 does has an OS identification feature.

  http://www.insecure.org/nmap/index.html

Robert Yoder
--

"Unix:  The Solution to the W2K Problem."

.

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Ryan Hofschneid » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
>> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
>> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
>> using any other OS other than their own.

>Here's the url:

>http://x10.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=428872365&search=thread&threaded...

>How can you tell what OS web sites are running?  Can you do it with dig
>or traceroute?

>Donn

Does any one know how can you _stop_ your computer from telling people
what OS it is running?

Ryan

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by T » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> I read one posting on dejanews that  Microsoft uses servers running
> FreeBSD as a firewall to protect their NT boxes on microsoft.com.  Any
> truth to this?  It's more than likely false, since I can't see MS ever
> using any other OS other than their own.

> Donn

If you read the Holloween document a while back, the commented version,
it mentioned that Microsoft carried a copy of the monzilla mailing list
on one of thier servers and that this server was running Linux.

TC

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Does any one know how can you _stop_ your computer from telling people
>what OS it is running?

Turn it off?  ;-)  Seriously, that be a good question.

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by Steve O'Hara Smi » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: spake unto us, saying:

: >Does any one know how can you _stop_ your computer from telling people
: >what OS it is running?

: Turn it off?  ;-)  Seriously, that be a good question.

    Since most of the analysers are based on the way TCP/IP packets are
built I guess you would have to hack up the TCP/IP stack - so start with
a system with available sources or plugable stacks and good documentation
and then work hard (very hard).

FreeBSD and microsoft.com

Post by John Morgan Salom » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Here's the url:

>http://x10.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=428872365&search=thread&threaded...

This is unsubstantiated, but if true, pretty hilarious.

Quote:>How can you tell what OS web sites are running?  Can you do it with dig
>or traceroute?

"telnet"

Quote:>Donn

-John

--
This is an official Press Release of Z.O.G. Laboratories International
                        Department of Propaganda

1. Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

SYMPTOMS

With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

---

TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
....... unquote .......

2. How to increase Shared memory segments

3. Microsoft uses non-compete clause to stifle home networking innovation, news.COM.com

4. Boot up Netra 625 after power failure

5. Microsoft's connection to SCO anti-Linux campaign -- NEWS.COM.com

6. linux .99pl8-3 telnet hangs problem

7. Microsoft to offer antivirus systems, news.COM.com

8. cuaa0 system hang

9. Microsoft bundles Operating System with IE NEWS.COM.com

10. microsoft.com

11. Microsoft.com

12. where did microsoft.com go?!

13. Linux Runs Microsoft.com?