ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers on FreeBSD 3.2

ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers on FreeBSD 3.2

Post by Timothy J. L » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Are ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers both supported on FreeBSD 3.2?
If so, are there differences in usability, performance, etc.?

ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers on FreeBSD 3.2

Post by Gregory Bon » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Are ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers both supported on FreeBSD 3.2?
> If so, are there differences in usability, performance, etc.?

Both.  For ATAPI, see wormcontrol(8) and /usr/share/examples/atapi
For SCSI, you need the cdrecord program from the ports collection and
the "pass" driver in your kernel.  For both, you need "mkisofs"
from the ports collection to actually prepare ISO images.

I've not used SCSI, only ATAPI, but they seem about equivalent wrt
usability, and performance is always going to be limited by the speed
of the drive.

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

|> Are ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers both supported on FreeBSD 3.2?
|> If so, are there differences in usability, performance, etc.?
|
|Both.

Thanks.

|For ATAPI, see wormcontrol(8) and /usr/share/examples/atapi

I take it the device name is something like /dev/racd0c instead of
/dev/worm as implied in the man pages?

ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers on FreeBSD 3.2

Post by Gregory Bon » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I take it the device name is something like /dev/racd0c instead of
> /dev/worm as implied in the man pages?

Yep, or /dev/rwcd0c, depending on your OS rev.  Looks like the
wormcontrol man page is a bit aged.....

ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers on FreeBSD 3.2

Post by Courtney Thoma » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Greetings !

Please see below for a question................

>> Are ATAPI (EIDE) and SCSI CD writers both supported on FreeBSD 3.2?
>> If so, are there differences in usability, performance, etc.?

>Both.  For ATAPI, see wormcontrol(8) and /usr/share/examples/atapi
>For SCSI, you need the cdrecord program from the ports collection and
>the "pass" driver in your kernel.

I am running 2.2.5 not 3.2 and don't know anything about a pass driver. Have
I missed the boat ? Rather I plan to use rcd0.ctl ? Is there any problem
with this ? I am obviously unfamiliar with how all this works, but the SCSI
CDRW does respond to commands using crd0.ctl:1,0.

Thanks,    Courtney

  For both, you need "mkisofs"

Quote:>from the ports collection to actually prepare ISO images.

Post by Gregory Bon » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I am running 2.2.5 not 3.2 and don't know anything about a pass driver. Have
> I missed the boat ? Rather I plan to use rcd0.ctl ? Is there any problem
> with this ? I am obviously unfamiliar with how all this works, but the SCSI
> CDRW does respond to commands using crd0.ctl:1,0.

Yikes, 2.2.5 is _old_, I'm surprised you can still get parts for it!
I've not used SCSI CD-R even with with 3.x so I can't offer any
definitive advice, I'm sorry.

1. FreeBSD 3.2 and Atapi CD

I have installed 3.2 by first copy the 1st BSD CD to a DOS partition,
and stating booting with floppy. If I boot installtion from the CD it
cant find kernel and stoops with

/boot.config -P
keyboard:yes
Diskerror 0x1 (lba=0x87b83)
Invalid format

Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No kernel

Default: 0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

I have an IBM Aptiva from 1997, 2 x 6.4GB disks on IDE0 and on IDE1 is
the NEC atapi CDreader slave in BIOS or in linux /dev/hdd. During
booting I have seen a message of 0x170 whitch is IDE1, the message is
about no contact with wdc1 I believe. If I say that I want to install
from CD after booting from floppies no CD is found. I have tried to
mount CD after BSD installation but no succes, I do not really no what
dev the CD is. Tried mount_iso9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom or acd0c after
installation, no succes.

How shall the mount command be written in FreeBSD for my CD?

During installation I see conflicts 3 different CDs, as Sony, Matshita
but they do not look as Atapi and neither has adress 0x170 so I
"deleted" them.

All proposals wellcome.
Erik

2. Newbie connect question: Two PCs, both RH 5.1, two NE2000 cards: failure to ping!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

4. Cleaning up bootup messages

5. FreeBSD 3.1 & ATAPI CD-Rom writer?

6. Synchronous PPP? and ISDN?

7. ATAPI CD Writer for FreeBSD 4.2

8. Linux labels are now available on tsx-11

9. Does the HP7200i ATAPI CD Writer need SCSI emulation

10. Help w/ SCSI hd, EIDE/ATAPI CD-ROM, 1.2.13 system

11. Streaming ATAPI Tape Drives under FreeBSD 3.2

12. EIDE CD-ROM ON 3.2 4.2

13. CD-Writer CD-Writer