tar'ing to a raw IDE drive

Post by Michael E. Jaskowia » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello Gang,

    Does anyone have an idea on how to tar to a raw IDE device?  I used
sysinstall to determine that the unused portion will be mounted as
wd0s2e, but when I use the command 'tar cvf /dev/rwd0s2e /home/test', it
tells me that it is a read-only file system.  Am I doing something
wrong?  This is on a 350 meg flash drive that has no difficulty being
used as a regular IDE drive.  Thanks for any info that you can give me.

    Michael

1. Help with tar'ing to the floppy drive

We have an Ultra Model 170 running Solaris 2.5 with a 3.5" floppy drive.
How do we use this device with the tar command? We can use the volcheck
command to mount the floppy and read a formatted diskette, but we cannot
figure out which device to use for the " tar -cvf dev" command. Thanks

* Brian Aingworth
* Lockheed Martin Federal Systems
* Owego,NY, 13827

*
*               Only my own opinions are offered.
*

2. Are there stability issues with Veritas Foundation Suite 4 and Solaris?

3. How to view tar contents w/o un-tar'ing?

4. dummy interfaces do not show up w/ ifconfig

5. Occasional timeouts DMA'ing to IDE drive

6. Mother-in-law wants Linux for X-mas

7. Sync'ing IDE drives

8. newbie using Suse 7.2, want to upgrade to 7.3

9. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

10. tar'ing a file that's larger than the media

11. Oracle LONG RAW's and Tar's

12. Problems fssnap'ing to raw device