Upgrading to FBSD3.4: chflags problems?

Post by Warren Toom » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I know that 3.4 will be out this month. I have a server running 3.3 at
securelevel 2, and I'm thinking of doing a chflags sunlnk schg on
all the static files (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc etc.)

When I use the binary upgrade procedure in 3.4, will having `sunlnk schg'
files prevent the upgrade from going successfully? I.e will the kernel
on the 3.4 boot floppy ignore these flags?

Many thanks for any advice on this!

        Warren

--
There is only one s in my email address

1. upgrade to FBSD3.3 on P166+ -> lower RC5 keyrate ?

[Maybe there are some knowledgeable RC5-64 friends in this newsgroup...]

It is the exact same config...

I looked into it a little further:

booting the FBSD 3.3R system in single user mode and running rc5des ->
175KKeys/sec.

Copying a FBSD 3.2 generic kernel from the 3.2 CD into the / of the 3.3R
installation, booting single user with that kernel and running rc5des ->
238KKeys/sec.

So by only changing the kernel, I have a 25% difference in performance.
Running truss on rc5des shows it calls gettimeofday() a couple of
times/sec, and sometimes getpriority()/setpriority(), and that's about it.

The only possibly relevant changes I could find at the kernel level are
related to the scheduler, no changes in the cpu initialisation it seems.
But how come then that there's such a big difference even in single-user
mode ?

         Gert-Jan

-----
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

2. HP Vectra

3. chflags problem

4. mounting xenix file system in Linux

5. Problems in 4.4: fxp in SMP-Mode, chflags /kernel: Operation not permitted

6. Samba file timestamp policy with Linux client .vs. Windows client

7. Problem with KDE and FBSD3.4

8. Can not get network working.

9. FBSD3.0: problems with quotas ... HELP!

10. problems with building packages under FBSD3.0

11. SCSI Problems with FBSD3.2/Adaptec

12. problems with multi-boot (NT4/win95/FBSD3.1

13. prb with chflags