Updating via cvsup but not really...?

Post by Jak » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:08:46

Hello!

Here at work I'm running a 4.7 box to learn BSD with. At home I have
installed 4.7 but I don't have a decent connection to the internet. I
was wondering if there is a way that I can update my src, ports, and
doc files by burning them to CD here at work then going home and
copying the files to computer.

Here at work my cvs-supfile has a the following tag:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7

I'm still not too clear on the release tags yet but I'm gathering that
this tag will get me the source files for FreeBSD 4.7 and any updates
to that release that are posted.

Where could I download the updated above mentioned files (src, ports,
and doc) for 4.7?

Once on CD is it just a matter of copying them to the proper
directories in the system?

Thanks for the help if you provide any...I'm trying my best to get the
answers from the handbook, mailing archives, and web first.

- Jake

Post by Khairil Yuso » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:22:18

> Here at work I'm running a 4.7 box to learn BSD with. At home I have
> installed 4.7 but I don't have a decent connection to the internet. I
> was wondering if there is a way that I can update my src, ports, and
> doc files by burning them to CD here at work then going home and
> copying the files to computer.

Not decent? Here in Malaysia I'm lucky to get 3K/s on a dialup connection.
As bad as that is, it only takes about 15-20mins to cvsup to 4.7 stable
from 4.6.

Ports takes up around the same time if done weekly. So it takes less time
and hassle to just simply cvsup the ports via your poor connection.

What does take forever though is the source files for the ports, eg.
OpenOffice is 100MBs or so bzipped. Now that would take forever on a
dialup.

So what you can do for those, is burn /usr/ports/distfiles. You could
mount it and install it straight from the cdrom if you wanted to.

Another option is using portupgrade's -F function
(/usr/ports/sysutils/portupagrade).

This pulls down the required files into distfiles without installing the
application, which you then burn and copy to your home PC.

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:56:15

>Here at work I'm running a 4.7 box to learn BSD with. At home I have
>installed 4.7 but I don't have a decent connection to the internet. I
>was wondering if there is a way that I can update my src, ports, and
>doc files by burning them to CD here at work then going home and
>copying the files to computer.

You don't really need a high speed connection for cvsup'ing the
source trees.  Start with the soucecs on the CD and then set up
cvsup.  It really doesn't take that much time even on a 33K dialup.
I used to do it all the time.  Just fire it off via cron overnight
and you'll have everything you need.  Starting with the relases
sources you won't have that much to update, and you can eliminate
things you wont need.  Sources total 300M on this machine.

Quote:>Here at work my cvs-supfile has a the following tag:
>*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7
>I'm still not too clear on the release tags yet but I'm gathering that
>this tag will get me the source files for FreeBSD 4.7 and any updates
>to that release that are posted.

That will get you the 4.7 RELEASE plus any security fixes. If
that's all you want [not STABLE] - then just tar up the source
tree onto a CD and bring it home.  Then you can check with cvsup
once a week via cron.

Quote:>Where could I download the updated above mentioned files (src, ports,
>and doc) for 4.7?

See cvs.  There are about 15 cvs sites in the continental US alone
- and more everywhere around the world.

--

1. Ports update via cvsup

Just wondering, when I update the ports tree via cvsup, does it update
to the very latest, regardless of what level my OS is  on ?  Or do the
ports have a "Release" level like the OS ?
Assuming it just updates to the latest, are there any known major
issues with a machine running 4.2 RELEASE, and any of the latest ports
?

Also, say I update the ports tree, and prior to updating I had some
large program with lots of dependancies installed via the
port...Something like Gnome or KDE.  Then, after updating the ports I
want to install the shiny new version of Gnome or KDE (whatever).
Should I uninstall the previous version + all dependancies, or will
just installing the newer version work in most situations ?  I don't
mind manually uninstalling stuff on a machine or three, but after that
it gets a bit tedious...
TIA.

-Matt-

2. unstable/stable Debian

3. Updating via cvsup

4. CDE Questions?

5. Ports updated via CVSUP - how to reinstall

6. WABI 1.1 printer driver

7. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

8. Apache refuses to even touch SSI

9. Is update agent really updating???

10. updating via cvs and not using sendmail

11. Updating DNS via new BIND RR Updates

12. updating system without CVSUP

13. Updating my /usr/ports with cvsup?