For those with 3C589*D* cards and want to use the "ep" driver
instead of PAO, I have found the problem. The EEPROM used inside
the 3C589D seems to be slower than those used in the 3C589C and
older cards, and the DELAY(1000) in read_eeprom_data() isn't long
enough any more.
Increasing the delay to 1000000 (brute force) works, and some lower
values would likely work as well, but I didn't have time to do a
binary search for the new boundary.
A better fix would be to make read_eeprom_data() call f_is_eeprom_busy()
after the DELAY(1000).
Network Failure Analysis Lab, a division of Scalable Network Systems Ltd.