Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem

Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem

Post by Samuel L » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

For those with 3C589*D* cards and want to use the "ep" driver
instead of PAO, I have found the problem.  The EEPROM used inside
the 3C589D seems to be slower than those used in the 3C589C and
older cards, and the DELAY(1000) in read_eeprom_data() isn't long
enough any more.

Increasing the delay to 1000000 (brute force) works, and some lower
values would likely work as well, but I didn't have time to do a
binary search for the new boundary.

A better fix would be to make read_eeprom_data() call f_is_eeprom_busy()
after the DELAY(1000).

...Sam
--

Network Failure Analysis Lab, a division of Scalable Network Systems Ltd.

1. How to get 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA III Ethernet card working

I just installed Slackware 3.1 after i blow my windows 95.  Everything
works fine except my Ethernet card.  The card service found this card,
got its name, but said it was unsupported.  Is there any way to get a
new driver?  Or is there anyone out there who got it to work?  Can i
force Linux to recognize it as a 3C589B card?  I know someone who got
that one working.

Thanks a lot.

p.s.  If possible, could you email me a copy?  My email address is:

2. NIC config Questions

3. Problems w/ 3COM Etherlink 3C589D PCMCIA Card

4. Apache Bug? #3 (too many filehandles?)

5. Problems with Redhat 7.1 and the 3com 3c589D ethernet card

6. Vtwm for AIX 3.2

7. 3COM Etherlink III 10BaseT PCMCIA Card Model 3C589D installation in Mandrake 7.0 helps need

8. binary to binary

9. 3com 3c589d pcmcia card

10. Help for 3Com 3C589D-TP PCMCIA Card

11. 3com 3C589D Ethernet card not found

12. FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet Card

13. PCMCIA problems with 3Com 3C589D