virtual memory exhausted ,v2.2.5

Post by Tilman Autenriet » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

After upgrading to FreeBSD 2.2.5 we have the problem that we can't
compile a big c++-simulation program any more. It includes
the LEDA-library for the definition of new types etc. With  freebsd
version 2.2.1 and gcc version 2.7.2.1 it compiled perfectly. Now, with
2.2.5 and the same compiler we get an virtual memory exhausted error
when compiling the files containing several levels of includes. The swap
space is only used for about 20%.

Any point to what's causing this error will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tilman

--
Tilman Autenrieth
TU Hamburg-Hamburg

Post by David Malo » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Now, with
>2.2.5 and the same compiler we get an virtual memory exhausted error
>when compiling the files containing several levels of includes. The swap
>space is only used for about 20%.

Could the optimisation level have been turned up since you
last compiled? I've seen gcc grow to enormous sizes while
compiling with optimisation turned on (xzx, the spectrum
emulator is the best known offender I think).

        David.

virtual memory exhausted ,v2.2.5

Post by Mark Tingue » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>After upgrading to FreeBSD 2.2.5 we have the problem that we can't
>compile a big c++-simulation program any more. It includes
>the LEDA-library for the definition of new types etc. With  freebsd
>version 2.2.1 and gcc version 2.7.2.1 it compiled perfectly. Now, with
>2.2.5 and the same compiler we get an virtual memory exhausted error
>when compiling the files containing several levels of includes. The swap
>space is only used for about 20%.

are you sure that you are not exceeding the per-user limits?

you may want to bump your user limit (search for ulimit in the manual
page if you use sh/bash and limit if you use the csh). another way of
adjusting these is by changing the login.conf(5).

--mark.

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> After upgrading to FreeBSD 2.2.5 we have the problem that we can't
> compile a big c++-simulation program any more. It includes
> the LEDA-library for the definition of new types etc. With  freebsd
> version 2.2.1 and gcc version 2.7.2.1 it compiled perfectly. Now, with
> 2.2.5 and the same compiler we get an virtual memory exhausted error
> when compiling the files containing several levels of includes. The swap
> space is only used for about 20%.

In 2.2.5 we added the new login class mechanism (see /etc/login.conf)
for preventing the average user from consuming too many system
resources.  This was necessary for those ISPs offering shell accounts
and such on FreeBSD machines.  If you want to return to the limitless
(;-) days of 2.2.1 then put yourself in the root class (it's the field
in /etc/master.passwd that's currently empty (::).

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  FreeBSD core team / Walnut Creek CDROM.

1. Help! GCC V2.6.3 Error: virtual memory exhausted ...

Hi there!

  I'm using g++ v2.6.3 on a P90, PCI, 16MB RAM, 16MB SWAP, LINUX1.2.9...

  Trying to compile some code (e.g. linux kernel, imaze, ...)
I always get the following message:

  example.c:123: virtual memory exhausted
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    only for example :)

and the compiler failed ... but the swap space was not full (only 2 of
16MB were used).

re-making it will compile the rest
(or at least a part of it).

Using v2.5.8 the error did not occur.

Has anyone else experienced this? and fixed the problem?

-Martin

Thanks a lot !!!

2. strange undefined c library error?!

3. SPARC Station IPC

4. Kernel Upgrade : Virtual memory exhausted ?

5. Error when running ./apachectl start

6. virtual memory exhausted??

7. Tape Restore problem

8. ld: virtual memory exhausted