Help needed: remote restore: cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured

Help needed: remote restore: cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured

Post by Marko Schuet » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I did a backup of my laptops disk (as a remote disk) to a local dat.

( remsh kinetic /sbin/dump 0unBbf 1200000 10 - /dev/wd0s1a ) | dd of=/dev/rmt/0mnb bs=16k

On that machine when I try to verify the backup I get

# restore tvf /dev/rmt/0mnb
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size (1460) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

So I figured I needed to process the stuff on my laptop and did

# dd if=/dev/rmt/0mnb bs=16k | ( remsh kinetic /sbin/restore -t -f - -v )
cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape is not a dump tape

What do I need to do in order to configure this device?

Marko

--

http://kiste-5.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~marko

1. Help with /dev/console: no such device, and "cannot open tty"

Hi,
I am trying to compile a 2.4 kernel for my Redhat 7.0-based laptop.  For
various unsightly reasons, I need to do this myself.

I finally got it to work- mostly.  However, I am unable to get a console
(and mingetty complains about /dev/tty[1-6] as well).  The last thing I
see on the screen when I boot is: "Ok, booting the kernel".  This is for
kernel 2.4.19.

Since the machine boots fine under the 2.2 redhat kernel, I don't think
my devices are at fault.  I have compared /dev/console and /dev/tty[1-6]
to the device (major,minor) numbers on my SuSE 7.3 box (running 2.4.10
kernel) and all shows a-ok.  I'm sure it's something in the kernel.

I ran make menuconfig and tried not to mess around with too many
settings.

I have configured the kernel to load the serial char device as a module,
because otherwise it was complaining about not being able to load the
serial device char-major-4.  (dunno if this is related...)  Anyway, it
doesn't matter if serial is compiled in or if it's a module.

Any pointers would be appreciated (I have been working on this all day
:( ).  Yes, I have scoured newsgroups, Google, etc. etc.

BTW, my .config shows:

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is not set
#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=m

Thanks!
--
-Mike Schwager

2. dns server setup.

3. kermit cannot open /dev/tty, /dev/cua1?

4. module dependencies and init

5. error "/dev/tty Device not configured"

6. Modem Load Sharing in Linux

7. pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

8. Radio Cards?

9. Getting the real tty device name (/dev/tty not good enough)

10. arpwatch: pcap open: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

11. Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

12. help needed opening/fopening /dev/tty??