Hardware Compatibility

Post by Simon Piett » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for buying a server, and install FreeBSD on it. I would like to
buy something like an HP, IBM or Compaq system (or any other system that you
could suggest ).  Any advice to avoid any compatibility problem?

Simon

Hardware Compatibility

Post by leper_messia » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Use whatever you want, it'll probably work.

Mike - Shadow Hardware Inc.

>Hi,

>I am looking for buying a server, and install FreeBSD on it. I would like
>buy something like an HP, IBM or Compaq system (or any other system that
you
>could suggest ).  Any advice to avoid any compatibility problem?

>Simon

Hardware Compatibility

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I am looking for buying a server, and install FreeBSD on it. I would
> like to buy something like an HP, IBM or Compaq system (or any other
> system that you could suggest ).  Any advice to avoid any
> compatibility problem?

Don't know of IBM machines.  I remember Compaq always being a little
esoteric (like not announcing more than 16 MB RAM in the CMOS location
all other vendors do use).

I know of quite a number of HP Netservers running FreeBSD, although
their BIOS is really terrible.  With recent BIOS revisions, you can't
install FreeBSD in `dangerously dedicated' mode, ie. where FreeBSD
owns the entire disk.  This way, there's no real fdisk table then, and
the `smart' BIOS simply ignores the disk drive when it comes to boot
-- it attempts to be smarter than the operator installing it. :-(

In short, it seems all the genuine vendors often try to add so much
value to fight their competition, that all the added value makes them
no easy fellow-campers in terms of de-facto standards.

There's one known quirk for the HP Netserver LC (the EISA/PCI machine
with a Neptune chipset) that's a flaw in FreeBSD's EISA architecture.
It's described in the hardware Q&A documentation on the boot floppy.
(Basically, you gotta bump the "eisa_slots" variable to 12.  You can
do so from UserConfig, in order to get it installed at all.)

--
cheers, J"org

Hardware Compatibility

Post by Rob Bullo » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  > like to buy something like an HP, IBM or Compaq system
>  Don't know of IBM machines.

Somewhere's I remember reading of NO IBM MicroChannel support...

rdb

Hardware Compatibility

Post by Vallo Kallas » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am looking for buying a server, and install FreeBSD on it. I would like to
>buy something like an HP, IBM or Compaq system (or any other system that you
>could suggest ).  Any advice to avoid any compatibility problem?

***

I'm also interested install FreeBSD to an IBM PC-server. Model number is
PC-330 which haves IBM ServeRaid II raid adapter. Is this adapter
supported by FreeBSD ? It's a very nice raid adapter with three
independent scsi channels.

Vallo Kallaste

Hardware Compatibility

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>  Don't know of IBM machines.

> Somewhere's I remember reading of NO IBM MicroChannel support...

Yep, but the question was about buying a new machine, and i don't
think anybody would think of MCI as an option for _this_ these days.

--
cheers, J"org