trying to implement secure sockets & using certificate

trying to implement secure sockets & using certificate

Post by Jim Scofiel » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am running 2.2.5 of FreeBSD.  I just upgraded to version 1.3.4 of apache
and installed version 2.2.2 of mod ssl and version 0.9.0b of SSLeay.  All
working great.

However, I went to verisign to get a trial certificate.  They sent back one
with the instructions to run the command getca (or possibly getverisign) on
the certificate.  I have no such animal on my system.  Anybody else know the
correct way to use the certificate from here?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Scofield

Post by Alan Strassbe » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I am running 2.2.5 of FreeBSD.  I just upgraded to version 1.3.4 of apache
>and installed version 2.2.2 of mod ssl and version 0.9.0b of SSLeay.  All
>working great.

>However, I went to verisign to get a trial certificate.  They sent back one
>with the instructions to run the command getca (or possibly getverisign) on
>the certificate.  I have no such animal on my system.  Anybody else know the
>correct way to use the certificate from here?

        "getca" is a script that comes with Stronghold (www.c2.net),
        but it's trivial. All is does is copy the cert into the correct
        location pointed to by your httpd.conf file ...

        SSLCertificateFile    /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key

        Verisign must confuse alot of people with this missing "getca"
        directive.

        Also, IE 3.02 won't work with this cert, it's a flaw in IE.

                                        alan