3.0-stable to ?-current

Post by Scott Myro » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello.. now that 3.0 is stable, what is in the -current branch?. and,
could i just cvsup form 3.0-current to whatever is in the new -current
branch, (note: i'm using an aout 3.0 kernel... cause i don't know how to
build and use an ELF one..) thanks.

3.0-stable to ?-current

Post by Otte » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello.. now that 3.0 is stable, what is in the -current branch?. and,
>could i just cvsup form 3.0-current to whatever is in the new -current
>branch, (note: i'm using an aout 3.0 kernel... cause i don't know how to
>build and use an ELF one..) thanks.

from what i gather from other posts, it looks as if there will be no
new -currnet for about another month. in the meantime, enjoy
stability.
-Otter

3.0-stable to ?-current

Post by Nathan Dorfm » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>>Hello.. now that 3.0 is stable, what is in the -current branch?. and,
>>could i just cvsup form 3.0-current to whatever is in the new -current
>>branch, (note: i'm using an aout 3.0 kernel... cause i don't know how to
>>build and use an ELF one..) thanks.

>from what i gather from other posts, it looks as if there will be no
>new -currnet for about another month. in the meantime, enjoy
>stability.
>-Otter

If you're using cvsup, just get the HEAD branch as usual. standard-supfile
will work with no changes. As for a.out kernels, are they even "supported"
anymore? I thought I saw KERNFORMAT get ripped out of make.conf. Please at
least make an attempt to keep up with freebsd-current and freebsd-hackers
if you're going to run -current.

By the way, you will have to install and use the new bootblock code before
an ELF kernel will work. Search the mailing list archives, it's been done
to death.

--

"The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching
train." --/usr/games/fortune

3.0-stable to ?-current

Post by ab.. » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

#>
#>>Hello.. now that 3.0 is stable, what is in the -current branch?. and,
#>>could i just cvsup form 3.0-current to whatever is in the new -current
#>>branch, (note: i'm using an aout 3.0 kernel... cause i don't know how to
#>>build and use an ELF one..) thanks.
#>>
#>
#>from what i gather from other posts, it looks as if there will be no
#>new -currnet for about another month. in the meantime, enjoy
#>stability.
#>-Otter

# If you're using cvsup, just get the HEAD branch as usual. standard-supfile
# will work with no changes. As for a.out kernels, are they even "supported"
# anymore? I thought I saw KERNFORMAT get ripped out of make.conf. Please at

Of course they are. This was only to show that they are deprecated.

Notice, though: you slowly start losing features in a.out
kernels. Cf. /kernel.config.

--

Andrzej Bialecki

--------------------   ++-------++  -------------------------------------

 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/
--------------------   ~-+==---+-+  -------------------------------------

1. Latest Reasonably Stable Build for 3.0-current

Could any of you tell me what the most recent stable -current snapshot
is?  I'm looking to install FreeBSD on my machine and I need a version
that supports Ultra33 and my Promise controller, among other things.
I've heard that this is available on -current, but is there anything I
should be aware about the current source of -current before
downloading a snapshot.  (Yes, I know, I will subscribe to the
appropriate mailing list eventually, but I'm posting here first just
because I happened to have my newsreader already opened).

-Tom

2. ImageMagick binaries (that work) uploaded to sunsite

3. 2.2.8 Stable to 3.0 Stable Migration Question

4. Installing via NFS

5. can't compile current 3.1-stable

6. Host name change

7. HELP wiht CVSup, I like to keep my source tree current, wiht the stable brench.

8. Project level accounting under Solaris

9. Current version of NAMED for 3.3-Stable?

10. Current stable versions - FAQ/HOWTO needed?

11. Current stable Kernel?

12. Upgrading from -STABLE to -CURRENT - How?

13. What is the current state Linux releases for a simple stable box?????