Configuring BSD for DHCP Client baised on Windows computer names

Configuring BSD for DHCP Client baised on Windows computer names

Post by Robert Picar » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 21:58:17

I have a cable modem, that up untill now I have been using a static
configuration for my network card. However my ISP is doing some
restructuring and claims that static configurations will nolonger be
suppported. How do i get the DHCP client in Free BSD 4.3-release to send
first the computers name. Under windows I would enter a specified computer
name, then windows would send that automatically to the DHCP server and
recive a reply for the configuration information, but in BSD i don't know
how to do this, any and all help would be appreciated.

  Rob

Configuring BSD for DHCP Client baised on Windows computer names

Post by John Nielse » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:41:48

Quote:> I have a cable modem, that up untill now I have been using a static
> configuration for my network card. However my ISP is doing some
> restructuring and claims that static configurations will nolonger be
> suppported. How do i get the DHCP client in Free BSD 4.3-release to
send
> first the computers name. Under windows I would enter a specified
computer
> name, then windows would send that automatically to the DHCP server
and
> recive a reply for the configuration information, but in BSD i don't
know
> how to do this, any and all help would be appreciated.

Add a line like this to /etc/dhclient.conf:

interface "ed0" { send host-name "C1391771-A"; }

You want to change the interface and host name as appropriate.  My IP
address hasn't actually changed in a long time (i.e. never), but this is

dhclient.conf for more info.

JN

Configuring BSD for DHCP Client baised on Windows computer names

Post by root » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:40:18

I have three computers currently running on a cable modem with a Cable/DSL
Router sitting between the modem and the computers.  All the computers were
automatically configured on installation with local IP addresses
(192.***.***.* ) and the router handling the IP configuration with the
cable modem.
I have FreeBSD, Linux and Windows on these computers and both FreeBSD and
Linux were installed via FTP, through the router with no problems.

If you can, get a router. Unless you're running a server on your system, I
doubt you'll see any effect when the leases are updated...about once a week.
RJ

>> I have a cable modem, that up untill now I have been using a static
>> configuration for my network card. However my ISP is doing some
>> restructuring and claims that static configurations will nolonger be
>> suppported. How do i get the DHCP client in Free BSD 4.3-release to
> send
>> first the computers name. Under windows I would enter a specified
> computer
>> name, then windows would send that automatically to the DHCP server
> and
>> recive a reply for the configuration information, but in BSD i don't
> know
>> how to do this, any and all help would be appreciated.

> Add a line like this to /etc/dhclient.conf:

> interface "ed0" { send host-name "C1391771-A"; }

> You want to change the interface and host name as appropriate.  My IP
> address hasn't actually changed in a long time (i.e. never), but this is

> dhclient.conf for more info.

> JN

1. Windows NT DHCP clients and SunOS 4.x BOOTPD+DHCP patches

I've been unable to get bootpd with DHCP patches on SunOS 4.1.3
to work with our Windows NT clients.  The problem appears to be
that the NT clients want the DHCP reply sent to 255.255.255.255,
but SunOS 4.x is unable to do that.  The network number for the
DHCP client and bootp server is 199.4.88.0, and I can send the reply
to 199.4.88.255, but not 255.255.255.255.  The sendto() fails with
ENETUNREACH.

I have been able to run the bootp server on a Solaris 2.3 box and
have it work with the Windows NT DHCP clients, because Solaris has
no problems sending to 255.255.255.255.

Is there any way to get BOOTP on a SunOS 4.x box to work with
Windows NT, or am I stuck with having to use Solaris 2?

2. Removing unnecessary packages from RedHat 8.0

3. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

4. Secure POP3 (SSL)

5. dns update from dhcp server ok for windows clients, not ok for linux (dhclient) clients

6. string concatenate

7. Configuring IP Address and Computer Name - HELPHELP HELP HELP

8. tar syntax

9. How do I configure domain names for my locally-networked computers?

10. Howto configure, that the Cisco VPN Client starts automatically after computer restart ?

11. Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

12. Configuring DHCP client for Solaris 7

13. Configure Apache w/dhcp client