telnet: command not found

Post by acauth » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Howdy,
When I telnet to my server, Freebsd3.4, and try to run commands such as
vipw, reboot, halt, etc, I recieve the message, "command not found."
However, at the machine, I can run these commands.

Thanks,
Robert

telnet: command not found

Post by Daniel Frazie » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Howdy,
> When I telnet to my server, Freebsd3.4, and try to run commands such as
> vipw, reboot, halt, etc, I recieve the message, "command not found."
> However, at the machine, I can run these commands.

> Thanks,
> Robert

If you aren't telnetting in as root(which you shouldn't be doing), then
those commands probably aren't in your path.

System Administrator                       Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet             WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

telnet: command not found

Post by Chris Costell » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[Followups removed from:
 - comp.unix.bsd.bsdi.misc: They only discuss BSDI's BSD/OS there
   generally.
 - mpc.lists.freebsd.isp: That's a news `interface' of a mailing
   list and is probably only read-only.]

Quote:> When I telnet to my server, Freebsd3.4, and try to run commands such as
> vipw, reboot, halt, etc, I recieve the message, "command not found."
> However, at the machine, I can run these commands.

   You need to run `su' when you log in (and you should generally
be using ssh* for this sort of thing!) to become root, who can
then run those commands.

[*] You can install that from /stand/sysinstall or from
    /usr/ports/security/ssh (from that directory, type `make
    install')

telnet: command not found

Post by Phil » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Howdy,
>When I telnet to my server, Freebsd3.4, and try to run commands such as
>vipw, reboot, halt, etc, I recieve the message, "command not found."
>However, at the machine, I can run these commands.

>Thanks,

Generally commands such as these are in /sbin or /usr/sbin
You will generally not be able to use reboot halt etc. unless you have
access to these commands.
Either login as a normal user and su up to root (man su) or setup
sudo to allow the normal user you're logging in as to run (man sudo)

--
  [Philip Reynolds]
----------------------

1. Telnet :command not found

Hi all,
        I am newbie to Linux. I am using Linux RedHat to dial-up the
server at my university. I am using the netcfg that comes with RedHat. I
am able to run netscape. But when I try to telnet to any host in the
network, I get the message bash: telnet command not found. I am unable to
figure this out. Please help.
Thanks in advance
Ramana.

2. Problem with Matlab & PCX-Ware

3. telnet command not found

4. MEMORY TROUBLE - Please Help

5. Need to find vi command to remove ^H from command man find > find.txt

6. linux-source debugging with kgdb-patch

7. ?updatedb: @find@: command not found???

8. problem installing COL 2.2 from CD

9. command not found not solved with ./

10. Commands not working in telnet session like apachectl or ifconfig?

11. setenv command not found (?!)

12. make : command not found

13. "which:: command not found" in bash/SuSE7.1