Hi folks, Need some advice from Modem Guru please

Hi folks, Need some advice from Modem Guru please

Post by Merli » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:16:25

Apart from the Silo Overflow errors, and the HDLC errors now slewing
throught the logs, the modem problem may actually be something else?

The thing is, that the modem ocassionally goes into a "hung" state. It
doesn't hang up. It just wont send or receive anything. It can't talk to the
other end (isp) nor can they talk to me. yet everything is still up and
running. All appropriate lights on - just that it's hung.

I've tried a couple of different modems. A Hayes, and now an Acer, with much
the same problem

I might add, on the old 266Meg Pentium, running 2.2 - same modem, I never
had silo problems, but did ocassionally get the hung problem still.

What can cause this. Its a real nuisance!

Thanks for any pointers. I'm really at a bit of a loss to explain this. I
even have the phone line going through a UPS filter to filter out glitches
in the line.
It doesn't do it often - just usually in the wee hours, and I don't see it
till the next day. Or 5 minutes after I leave for the day!

ta
Bob
--
---
Quantum Radio: World Music with a difference.

Hi folks, Need some advice from Modem Guru please

Post by bob prohask » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 12:09:09

What protocol are you using, and what happens if you simply power-cycle
the modem? Does the host recognize the power-cycling and redial? If not
I'd suspect the host software is not working right.

That said, modems, especially older ones, were prone to getting stuck.
I've had good experience with USR; first a Courier 14.4 and now a pair
of Sportster 33.6's.

Is there any chance your modem is tripping over a Hayes "+++" escape
string buried in your data?

bob

> The thing is, that the modem ocassionally goes into a "hung" state. It
> doesn't hang up. It just wont send or receive anything. It can't talk to the
> other end (isp) nor can they talk to me. yet everything is still up and
> running. All appropriate lights on - just that it's hung.

> I've tried a couple of different modems. A Hayes, and now an Acer, with much
> the same problem

> I might add, on the old 266Meg Pentium, running 2.2 - same modem, I never
> had silo problems, but did ocassionally get the hung problem still.

> What can cause this. Its a real nuisance!

> Thanks for any pointers. I'm really at a bit of a loss to explain this. I
> even have the phone line going through a UPS filter to filter out glitches
> in the line.
> It doesn't do it often - just usually in the wee hours, and I don't see it
> till the next day. Or 5 minutes after I leave for the day!

> ta
> Bob
> --
> ---
> Quantum Radio: World Music with a difference.
> http://quantum-radio.net.au/Music/
> Now Playing: Mongolian Folk Music - Zamba Tiv-1

Hi folks, Need some advice from Modem Guru please

Post by Merli » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 14:43:13

Hi Bob,
Thanks. You've answered another question I had as well. What's a good modem
for rock steady performance. Sounds like USR might be ok. I need 56K
though...

Yes, power cycling is fine. Modem comes back up. Software works. everything
will be fine for ages. then 'blat' - it just gets stuck.
I suspect that it's age. Its an "acermodem 56 Surf" , and after spending the
better part of an hour searching the internet for an AT command set for it -
indeed for ANYTHING about it. I turned up nothing!  Now that says a lot. :-)

It could be the cause ofthe silo overflows too. The modem just cant cut the
pace of the new 1Gb board.

oh well. Another upgrade...
Thanks
Bob

> What protocol are you using, and what happens if you simply power-cycle
> the modem? Does the host recognize the power-cycling and redial? If not
> I'd suspect the host software is not working right.

> That said, modems, especially older ones, were prone to getting stuck.
> I've had good experience with USR; first a Courier 14.4 and now a pair
> of Sportster 33.6's.

> Is there any chance your modem is tripping over a Hayes "+++" escape
> string buried in your data?

> bob

> > The thing is, that the modem ocassionally goes into a "hung" state. It
> > doesn't hang up. It just wont send or receive anything. It can't talk to
the
> > other end (isp) nor can they talk to me. yet everything is still up and
> > running. All appropriate lights on - just that it's hung.

> > I've tried a couple of different modems. A Hayes, and now an Acer, with
much
> > the same problem

> > I might add, on the old 266Meg Pentium, running 2.2 - same modem, I
never
> > had silo problems, but did ocassionally get the hung problem still.

> > What can cause this. Its a real nuisance!

> > Thanks for any pointers. I'm really at a bit of a loss to explain this.
> > even have the phone line going through a UPS filter to filter out
glitches
> > in the line.
> > It doesn't do it often - just usually in the wee hours, and I don't see
it
> > till the next day. Or 5 minutes after I leave for the day!

> > ta
> > Bob
> > --
> > ---
> > Quantum Radio: World Music with a difference.
> > http://quantum-radio.net.au/Music/
> > Now Playing: Mongolian Folk Music - Zamba Tiv-1

1. Req: Hi, I need somebodys advice please, regarding news and search engine clients.

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a newsreader which has the functions like
Outlook Express for combining and decoding .rar, .zip files, etc. And there
is also a multiple search engine search software called Copernic, which is
very convenient for searches. If somebody knows about similar packages for
Linux please let me know, I haven't found any yet. Thanks in advance

2. Chinon CDS-535 anyone?

3. New to the game...need your advice folks...

4. get rid of annoying beep

5. Hi, need advice

6. Need Help with a script (using su -c )

7. Hi Folks!

8. write() from kernel

9. hi folks

10. Module Gurus - Could you give me a little advice please?

11. Please provide some advice Linux security Gurus

12. Hi folks

13. Need a guru's advice on IP masquerading