pppd test and pppd down scripts?

Post by Mark Cartwrig » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

        I currently use kernel ppp to establish my ISP PPP connection
using a script very much like the one shown in the handbook using
'script' instead of 'kermit'.
        If anyone has some nice perl, c or awk scripts that will test
for a ppp connection, and/or disconnect a pppd connection, I would
love to use them.  Thanks in advance.

Mark A Cartwright
HQ SSG/SSXL Lan Administration
Gunter AFB, AL

pppd test and pppd down scripts?

Post by Mark Cartwrig » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

an update on my request:
        I tried a script I found in the Handbook for ppp testing, and
it works great, but the pppdown script does not.  Thanks.

Post by Brian Some » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> an update on my request:
>    I tried a script I found in the Handbook for ppp testing, and
> it works great, but the pppdown script does not.  Thanks.

>>        I currently use kernel ppp to establish my ISP PPP connection
>>using a script very much like the one shown in the handbook using
>>'script' instead of 'kermit'.
>>        If anyone has some nice perl, c or awk scripts that will test
>>for a ppp connection, and/or disconnect a pppd connection, I would
>>love to use them.  Thanks in advance.

Of course ppp has all this functionality and more :-)  Not only can
you run a "down" script (using !bg ... in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown), but
you can even talk to your modem with a chat script before closing it.

Quote:> Mark A Cartwright

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

1. yet another newbie with pppd script problem - pppd response.txt (0/1)

and i solved this once and had it working, but now it doesnt. i am
going to attach the response from /var/log/messages.

i see where i think i got over the first hurdle, by putting  '/d/c'
after CONNECT...but

it looks like after the connection it wants this ppp-compress-21

another mystery to me is that this script worked! then,  it didnt
work.
i am running RHAT 6.0 i think the kernel is "2.2.5-15". probably not,
right?

what i was working on before this stopped workeing was
1) being able to log on to the ISP as a user other than root, and
2) automating the logon.

also i am confused as to wher linuxconf fits in. i am doing this stuff
just at command prompts, shall i do it in KDE/GNOME.
so lets say i fix this in unix with the right chat script. does this
affect the pppd so that linuxconf or KDE can also use it?

thanks for being there.
sam

2. developing for Linux

3. Shutting down pppd by script

4. SE T610, Linux, and IrDA

5. More detail for my pppd log, PPPD seems Okay, but No ping work!

6. Can I use QIC-80 tapes on both FreeBSD and Linux?

7. pppd mru negotiation makes pppd hang

8. SUNSITE?

9. problems with pppd-2.2.0c param in pppd-2.3.5

10. pppd: The pppd daemon died unexpectedly.

11. Help: PPPD Connects; Reboot; PPPD doesn′t connect?

12. Port pppd-current to pppd-RRLEASE

13. pppd routing & letting users use pppd