Installation freezing at "Add default route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with NE2000 card

Post by Blaz Zup » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>But after I get to configure my network options (IP, gateway etc) the
>installation totally freezes when it says "Add default route to
>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.". When I switch to the second virtual console it says "ed0:
>device timeout".

Your network is either not working (if your NE2000 has a BNC as well as a
UTP connector and also has software selectable ports, check that you have
selected the correct port). Also check that you have correctly set the IRQ
setting for ed0. Anyway, you can get past the "add default route" by pressing
control-c. The machine will boot up but of course the network won't be
accessible.

--

Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia

Post by Steve Sheld » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>My network card is a NE2000-compatible ISA card. I really want to try
>FreeBSD out but I have not managed to come over this problem and I have no
>clue of how to continue. Does anyone else know what I could try?

 I have an NE2000 card in my FreeBSD box.  As I recall, during my first
install it comes up and says what it is looking for.  It defaults to some
really weird IRQ/IO setting of like IRQ 10 and I/O 280.

 This differed from my I/O of 300(which is far more common?), so I just went
in and switched the card to use different port.

 Worked like a charm after that!

Installation freezing at "Add default route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with NE2000 card

Post by Blaz Zup » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

>Thanks for the answer, and it is true that I have a networkd card with both
>BNC and UTP and it 's Plug'n'Play compliant, but I can't find any mention in
>the manual about that it would be possible to either disable or enable the
>ports separately.

If it is plug-and-pray then probably there is a simple DOS utility which you
can use to set the adress and IRQ. This utility should also be able to
select which port is in use (some cards have this, some don't). F.e. as far
as I remember a Compex RL2000-A works like this.

Quote:>I will try changing the IRQ to see if there's a difference, otherwise I will
>try with another netword card.

You can see what IRQ the card is set to with the DOS utility.

--

Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia

1. These "ICMP redirect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" errors

I've seen a few people ask - but haven't seen a response.

Can anyone tell us what these are caused by? I though they looked like
source-routed packets, but our local cisco disables source-routes and our
Linux boxes are compiled to ignore source-routes - so I can't figure out
what they are caused by.

We get tonnes of them on a mail server here - the addresses are all mail
servers - a lot of them from rather large outfits...

--
Cheers,
Jason Haar, Unix/Internet Manager

2. llsubmit hangs when turning off NIS(YP)

3. Problem: "NFS Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not responding, still trying"

4. 3c509b problem!

5. question: Who is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tell xxx.yyy.yyy.zzz

6. MySQL or Postgresql ? Which one is better for Web Applications

7. kernel: ICMP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Source route failed

8. $$ WHY DEMOCRATS WILL VOTE FOR BUSH $$

9. ICMP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Source Route Failed ?

10. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

11. Telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

12. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

13. Netstat returns IP= xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.blackjack what's up?