Kern trap 9 when installing frebsd 4.6 on a 486 (non bootable cdrom)

Kern trap 9 when installing frebsd 4.6 on a 486 (non bootable cdrom)

Post by rob merri » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 03:33:39

Hi

I have made kern and mfsroot floppies and booted with them mfsroot reports

Fatal Trap 9: General protection fault while in kernal mode

any ideas?

1. Can 4.6 RELEASE CDROM install 4.6 STABLE

A fairly naive question.  I have the 4.6 RELEASE CDROM set and just
wondered if there is a way to use its install GUI to install 4.6
STABLE by using the remote ftp source option.  I would just try it and
see what happens but the machines to be updated are in England and I
am in the US so I will have to coach another person in how to do this
over the phone.  I need to build a new system with 4.6 STABLE (for the
libc bug fix) and get it to the point where I can telnet to it.  Any
thoughts on the upgrade path that would be most 'coachable' would be
GREATLY appreciated.

TIA
Charlie Reese

2. Quantum 4.0G SCSI Harddrive and fdisk

3. Cyrix 486, 8MB Ram: Fatal trap 1 with install floppy

4. Make money = Allowed in Newesgroup?

5. Linux install with non-bootable IDE (1x?) CDROM

6. Signal Handling in Mutli Threaded App

7. INSTALL: (FAQ?)-Disappearing CDROM and non bootable roots!

8. Hot-plug support?

9. Installing RedHat 6.0 with a non bootable CDROM

10. PROBLEM: (kern.log) kernel BUG at shmem.c:486!

11. Can't install RH 4.1 or 4.2 on a non-PCI 486

12. Help with install on Compaq 486/33L,ESDI HD, SCSI CDROM

13. install Linux on 486 system with no CDROM drive