New drive installation problem

Post by Hansel & Grete » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:01:22

Hello All !

We have installed a new 120G Maxtor into a Compaq ML330 running 5.0-RELEASE,
and now boot stalls at "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devs to settle". What is
wrong ?

Regards
H & G

New drive installation problem

Post by Bas v.d. Wie » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:11:39

Quote:> Hello All !

> We have installed a new 120G Maxtor into a Compaq ML330 running
5.0-RELEASE,
> and now boot stalls at "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devs to settle". What
is
> wrong ?

> Regards
> H & G

Did you manage to format the disk yet? If not, check your cabling and
master/slave settings..

New drive installation problem

Post by Hansel & Grete » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:26:14

DOS off the floppy sees the disk just fine; it was never formatted. Are
there any particular requirements by FreeBSD ATA driver for the jumper
settings ? It's set to be a master on second channel, it is the only device
on the bus though.

> > Hello All !

> > We have installed a new 120G Maxtor into a Compaq ML330 running
> 5.0-RELEASE,
> > and now boot stalls at "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devs to settle".
What
> is
> > wrong ?

> > Regards
> > H & G

> Did you manage to format the disk yet? If not, check your cabling and
> master/slave settings..

New drive installation problem

Post by Bas v.d. Wie » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:16:04

Maybe DOS does see the disk, but it can't properly access it as well? From
what you're writing I'd suggest you fdisk and format the drive just to see
if it works from DOS. If it does, then you'll be certain the problem is with
FreeBSD.
I'm using Maxtor 120GB's too, and they work very well with FreeBSD 4.8. I
have two of them in my fileserver.

Bas

> DOS off the floppy sees the disk just fine; it was never formatted. Are
> there any particular requirements by FreeBSD ATA driver for the jumper
> settings ? It's set to be a master on second channel, it is the only
device
> on the bus though.

> > > Hello All !

> > > We have installed a new 120G Maxtor into a Compaq ML330 running
> > 5.0-RELEASE,
> > > and now boot stalls at "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devs to settle".
> What
> > is
> > > wrong ?

> > > Regards
> > > H & G

> > Did you manage to format the disk yet? If not, check your cabling and
> > master/slave settings..

1. New PPP problem from new modem installation

I say new because this has just occured recently.

I have recently upgraded my server and my workstation to Red Hat 5.0,
and have been very pleased.  Unfortunatly, a while after I had just
begun using RH5, my modem was struck down by a power surge.  OK, no
problem, I just went to my local PC store and bought a new USR 33.6
Sportster modem that was nearly identical to the one I previously had
(An older model USR 33.6 Sportster).

Previously, I had been using the modem in my server, and masquerading to
my client machine, which worked great as well.  Now, I was a bit
cautious as to which machine I wanted to put this modem in, so I put it
in the workstation.  Not much of a change at all.  With this new modem
installed, I have had a problem with my PPP connection staying usable.

For example, whenever I tried downloading the Applixware 4.3 to 4.3.7
upgrade files, the connection would randomly stop in the middle of a
download and just hang.  The modem would still be on line, but the
connection would not be usable, I could not ping anything, ftp anywhere,
or telnet to any machine.  It was useless.  I end up having to hang up,
and re-establish a connection with my ISP.  This happens while I am
using Windows 95 as well, so I know it not a Red Hat problem.  It seems
to be more of a hardware problem.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Maybe I have not set some
modem AT commands right with the &W command.  Actually, I just installed
this modem and went on about my business not changing any of the
defaults.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to fix this problem would be great.  As
it is, this is very useless to have a PPP connection that is
unreliable.  I cannot even count on downloading files over 2MB anymore.

Help,

Zackary Tippett

2. Staroffice fonts

3. New Drive ... New Problem

4. Firewall on Old Box

5. Moving Linux installation to a new drive...

6. Cannot recognize the domain root

7. fdisk on first scsi drive - new installation

8. WinTV in Stereo

9. What is Best Way to Copy Linux Installation to a New Hard Drive?

10. New - second hard drive installation.

11. new hard drive woes during linux installation

12. New Hard Drive Installation

13. (Q) Installation of a new drive