What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

Post by vector_sig » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:04:04

Hi all:

  One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
separate.

  This has created such painful situation for me. I did not want a
million tiny files from the ports that I don't want to use; so, I did
not install any ports when I install FreeBSD and I am without the
/usr/ports directory. I use pkg_add to add things I need so far.

  But there are ports I want, such as the xmms. The problem is that
ports like xmms has a huge dependency list, and each port on this list
has its own dependency, and I refuse to suffer the pain of downloading
every Makefile and patch file and checksum file for every port and its
depency port. It is just too much.

  The FAQ and Handbook says do "make foo-bar" or "make search=foobar,"
in the /usr/ports. But I don't even have and I don't want to have
unnecessary junks in this directory if I have to mkdir it. And the
whole ports tar file is 15 megs most of which I don't want.

  Can you experts and High Minds of the FreeBSD Collective please lend
me a hand and help me out of this quamire?

  Thanks so much! I will lower my shields and surrender my weapons. If
this question has been answer adequately, although I can't find such
news thread, then just assimilate me.

vector sigma

What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

Post by John Nielse » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:42:06

Quote:> Hi all:

>   One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
> that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
> drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
> ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
> separate.

>   This has created such painful situation for me. I did not want a
> million tiny files from the ports that I don't want to use; so, I did
> not install any ports when I install FreeBSD and I am without the
> /usr/ports directory. I use pkg_add to add things I need so far.

>   But there are ports I want, such as the xmms. The problem is that
> ports like xmms has a huge dependency list, and each port on this list
> has its own dependency, and I refuse to suffer the pain of downloading
> every Makefile and patch file and checksum file for every port and its
> depency port. It is just too much.

>   The FAQ and Handbook says do "make foo-bar" or "make search=foobar,"
> in the /usr/ports. But I don't even have and I don't want to have
> unnecessary junks in this directory if I have to mkdir it. And the
> whole ports tar file is 15 megs most of which I don't want.

>   Can you experts and High Minds of the FreeBSD Collective please lend
> me a hand and help me out of this quamire?

Really your best bet is to install the ports tree.  You don't need th
whole thing, though.  Install cvsup from a package and have a careful
look at /usr/share/doc/handbook/cvsup.html (or the equivalent page on
the freebsd website).  For each category in the ports, if you aren't
sure you want anything from it, put it in the refuse file.  If you find
out you do want something later you can take it out.  Then just run
cvsup and let it create your minimal ports tree.  (In addition to
whatever categories you want, you certainly need to keep the main
Makefile and the Mk, Templates, and Tools directories.)

A more drastic (and time-consuming) approach would be to put ALL the
categories in your refuse file (so you just get the base skeleton) and
then ftp individual port directories as you decide you need them.  A
very small number of the ftp sites support on-the-fly tarring, which
makes doing this a lot easier, but you can use mget (in ftp) as well.
The (major) drawback to this approach is that you have to figure out all
the dependencies for everything manually, and that really destroys all
the beauty of the ports system.

Probably my best advice is to get a bigger hard drive and don't worry
about it.

JN

Post by annel.. » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:40:06

> Hi all:
>   One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
> that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
> drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
> ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
> separate.

It's only the "mini" ISO that has fewer (or no) packages.  This ISO
is about 180MB instead of 650MB.  So you can download the full installation
ISO.

Or you can use /stand/sysinstall (select Configure, Packages) and
install individual packages . They"ll get downloaded.

        Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of:               FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC

Post by mic.. » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:13:59

> Hi all:
>   One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
> that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
> drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
> ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
> separate.
>   This has created such painful situation for me. I did not want a
> million tiny files from the ports that I don't want to use; so, I did
> not install any ports when I install FreeBSD and I am without the
> /usr/ports directory. I use pkg_add to add things I need so far.
>   But there are ports I want, such as the xmms. The problem is that
> ports like xmms has a huge dependency list, and each port on this list
> has its own dependency, and I refuse to suffer the pain of downloading
> every Makefile and patch file and checksum file for every port and its
> depency port. It is just too much.
>   The FAQ and Handbook says do "make foo-bar" or "make search=foobar,"
> in the /usr/ports. But I don't even have and I don't want to have
> unnecessary junks in this directory if I have to mkdir it. And the
> whole ports tar file is 15 megs most of which I don't want.

There is no other solution than install the whole tar file of ports
and cvsup it to the most recent version. You can find a tgz tarball for
example in
ftp://ftp.jussieu.fr/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/ports/port...
Then cvsup will do the upgrade very quickly.
Yes i have not seen a tgz for 4.4 on this server, but cvsup solves the
problem. Trying to keep only a part of /usr/ports is a loss of time
when you see the capacity of present disks. By the way you can as well
cvsup the whole system because dirpref will make your /usr/ports much
faster. If all you want is xmms you can pkg_add it from a ftp server,
such as
ftp://ftp.jussieu.fr/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages
Or you can download the 4 iso images from FreeBSD site (and some mirrors)
who have all the available packages.

--
Michel Talon

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:09:59

>Hi all:
>  One of the difference between FreeBSD 4.4 and previous edition is
>that (1) the install.iso disk has only a minimal of packages; a
>drastic reduction from 4.3 edition; (2) on the www.freebsd.org, the
>ports do not come in tar'ed files anymore; all the Makefile etc are
>separate.

Oh - but ports.tar.gz DOES exist - there is just no easy way to
find it.

Goto ftp.freebsd.org.  cd to /pub/FreeBSD/ports.  Then cd
to ports within that directory - which you have probably done
and seen all the individual ports.  But then type cd ..
and perform ls and you will see ports.tar.gz.

It's actually in /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current.  It's a 14MB
tar file. Looks like it was updated just about 5 hours ago.

That is a bit bizarre - probably needs to have someone think about
where it should be.  Likely candidate would be in the directory
called ports :-)

What is the least painful way to install ports on system without /usr/ports directory?

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:28:05

On 14 Nov 2001 22:04:04 -0800

>   The FAQ and Handbook says do "make foo-bar" or "make search=foobar,"
> in the /usr/ports. But I don't even have and I don't want to have
> unnecessary junks in this directory if I have to mkdir it. And the
> whole ports tar file is 15 megs most of which I don't want.

        Unless you are short on disc space install the whole ports tree
and have done with it. The overhead is tiny for the convenience it brings.
That 15 Mb is less than the distribution size of a modern web browser
and it contains the wherewithall to install around 5000 different pieces
of software *correctly*. This is a *good* use of 15 MB IMHO even if (like
most of us) you only want a tiny fraction of the available ports the
convenience of knowing that no matter which port you find a need for
a make, make install, make clean in the right place does the trick.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

1. Least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax?

What's the least painful way of installing NetBSD/pmax on a DECstation
2100? LAN and internet access is available as well as various running
systems, incl. Linux and Ultrix. An external CD ROM and other media
could also be obtained. Are there bootable CD images? Which file system
is being used to boot from, and which other systems could write it?

--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universit?t Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

2. Linux Install and FX400

3. Where and how to install non-ported software (non-ported extensions to ports, actually)?

4. Need to burn SuSE 6.1 onto CDs...what goes where?

5. "rm -rf /usr/ports" before "tar -xvzf ports.tar.gz"???

6. video card installation problem

7. Jikes port available in /usr/ports

8. smit.log and smit.script files

9. /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk ?

10. Which is least painful???

11. Least painful way to add wireless to desktop machine?

12. Where did my /usr/ports directory go?

13. The /usr/ports/devel directory