printing to (I'm sorry) NT print spool

Post by Paul » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am new to FreeBSD. Have learned a lot from newsgroup so far - Thank You.

I have installed 2.2.7 succesfully, have X and fvwm95 working fine.

There are a lot of man pages and files I would like to print out. I can Ping
and FTP my NT server,and  visa versa. I have an HP 4 connected to my NT
Server. Can someone tell me how to configure the ability to print to this
queue and/or point me to the proper documentation.

Thank you sincerely for any help.

Paul Turner
IT Director
CityTeam Ministries

p.s. soon hope to be reading newsgroup with my FreeBSD box as a firewall and

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> There are a lot of man pages and files I would like to print out. I can Ping
> and FTP my NT server,and  visa versa. I have an HP 4 connected to my NT
> Server. Can someone tell me how to configure the ability to print to this
> queue and/or point me to the proper documentation.

I'll preface this by saying that I have never done this so YMMV.
However, I think it should work.  Install the Samba port.  This will
give you client/server access to windows shares.  Then install the
apsfilter port as if you're installing your HP4 locally.  Modify the
"lp" entry in your /etc/printcap file and setup an "of" entry to run
smbclient with the -c option.  Something like:

smbclient -c "print -" \\your_printer_name\printer

Another option would be to install the hp4 on your FreeBSD box, install
the Samba port.  Export the printer as a windows share and print from
the nt machine to the FreeBSD machine.

In both examples, I'm leaving out *a lot* of detail!

- K.C.

1. Cannot Print to /var/spool/print??

I have been printing fine under Solaris 2.5 for months now.
All of the sudden I try to print and it says:

Error creating job: check spooling directory: /var/spool/print

I check all the permissions on those directories, they look fine
but just to make sure I change them to 777 on the /var/spool/print
and it then says:

couldn't validate local spool area (/var/spool/print)
The console window says:

Oct 30 19:43:01 sparc4 lp[2406]: Error creating job: check spooling directory: /var/spool/print

I have looked at the FAQ and did not see it covered, and the answer book
was not much help. I deleted the printer and started over, same thing.

---

* http://sparc4.texas.net/      Solaris/Mac/UNIX Admin          *
* Trident Data Systems          "My opinions are my own"        *

2. CNF 13th International Software/Internet Quality Week 2000

3. printing from windows to a linux print spool

4. Macro for IRIX's Workshop C++?

5. Print spool files filling /var/spool/printer

6. is someone at netscape looking for leaks

7. Spooled jobs won't print

8. Xerox DocuPrint P8e

9. How good is XiNet's K-Spool Unix/Mac Printing Software?

10. Print queue flooded with 'finished printing' zombies...

11. zsh: print -n 'this line' prints nothing

12. ? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server

13. Print from Solaris to NT print server????