remote printer problem

Post by the » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

hello,

i would like to print from my freebsd 2.2.6 machine to a solaris 2.6 host.
now i thought that this involves only to add an entry in /etc/printcap
for my "remote" printer such as:

remote|hp laserjet 5si: \
        :sh:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=remote_host:\
        :rp=printer_name_on_remote_host:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

and off you go.
on the solaris machine the port administrator command tells me and i guess that
the print server is supposingly listening

PMTAG          PMTYPE         SVCTAG         FLGS ID       <PMSPECIFIC>
tcp            listen         lp             -    root
        - - p - /var/spool/lp/fifos/listenS5 #
tcp            listen         lpd            -    root
        \x00020203000000000000000000000000 - p - /var/spool/lp/fifos/listenBSD #
tcp            listen         0              -    root
        \x00020ACE000000000000000000000000 - c - /usr/lib/saf/nlps_server #

now, after lpc restart remote  tells me
        lpd[xxx]: /dev/lp: no such file or directory.

which is correct, but i thought i dont need one?
now when i make a dummy device the error message disappears, but printing still
doesnt work.

any help would greatly be appreciated.
thanks,

theo.

remote printer problem

Post by Ted Mittelstaed » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> hello,

> i would like to print from my freebsd 2.2.6 machine to a solaris 2.6
host.
> now i thought that this involves only to add an entry in /etc/printcap
> for my "remote" printer such as:

After sad experience with printing on Solaris, I have come to the
conclusion that the command-line Solaris printing tools are utterly
worthless.  I don't know how they are hiding it under there now, but the
Solaris printing subsystem today apparently has little to do with the
traditional SYSV printing subsystem.

Use the icky graphical administrator tool made for dummies to set up and
configure your Solaris printers, and your problems will go away.

Ted

1. Remote printer problems using bsdlpd

I am trying to print over a network to a remote printer.  I am using
bsdlpd which came with the latest slackware distribution.  I have a
local printer working to a certain extent already.  By that I mean that
I can print text through it.  The printcap file I am using is included
below.  When I try to enable the remote printer by typing "up brlw1" in
lpc, I get the message "unknown printer brlw1"  I have created a queue
directory for it in the place specified in printcap.  I have also tried
using the same printcap without the colons at the beginning of every
line.  The machine name and printer name are correct.  I have heard that
bsdlpd requires a device called lp to operate, so I made a soft link to
/dev/null called lp.  I have of course killed and restarted bsdlpd every
time I made a change.  I am using kernel version 2.0.33 with all the
important other stuff like gcc from the newest slackware distribution.
If anyone has an idea about how I can fix this, please email me at

time.

lp|printer|DJ672:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/DJ672LP1:sh:mx#0:if=/usr/local/bin/deskjet-filter:

brlw1:\
:lp=:\
:rm=lpd.rh.uchicago.edu:\
:rp=brlw1:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1:\
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/brlw1/errs:

2. Seeking Big Gun Unix Admin in Austin

3. Remote Printer problem

4. Problem of crypt function

5. Remote printer problems

6. Dual CPU Support?

7. lp printing to remote printer problem

8. EMAIL BLASTER PROMOTION

9. Remote printer problem

10. remote printer problem

11. Remote Printer problems