Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Daniel Zappa » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
from them.

My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

Thanks,

Daniel Zappala

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Charles Henri » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
>anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
>looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
>like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
>from them.
>My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
>MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
>I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

I would suggest going and buying a Gateway P-II E-series machine, or Micron
and just starting with FreeBSD.  Both Gateway and Micron build with quality
components that will work wonderful for FreeBSD (for the msot part, still
check the parts list just in case).

-Crh
--

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Curt Wel » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
> anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
> looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
> like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
> from them.

I've bought two systems from Apache.  I went with them because
I wanted to run FreeBSD but didn't know much about PC hardware
and didn't want to waist time (and money) learning.  It worked
for me.  I've been happy with the systems and service I got from
them but was never over impressed with their abilities.  Everything
I've gotten from them showed up somewhat later than expected (by many
weeks in some cases).

Now that I'm more famillar with both FreeBSD and PC's, I don't
need them as much.  I put my last system together on my own.

I bought some of the components for my last system from ASA computers
(http://www.asacomputers.com/ also listed on the FreeBSD.org Vendor page).
They seemed to have more experence building BSD servers for ISPs
and the like.  Apache from my experence seems to have more experence
putting together standard desktop systems.  You should check out
ASA as well.  I ordered a motherboard, CPU, and memory from them
and got it in two days.  And though I didn't ask them to, they installed
the memory and CPU and configured and tested the motherboard before
shipping it.  Made things real easy for me.

Both these companies are very small (<10 people I'd guess).  So it's
very different dealling with them than with someone like Dell.

Quote:> My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
> MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
> I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

The problem with buying from the big guys is that they don't support
FreeBSD.  So if you have some compatibilty problem they won't be able
to help you.  But if you need that many systems, it seems to me you
should be able to buy a unit for testing (or get one for a free eval)
to make sure it works before hand.

Most standard systems from places like Micron will work fine with
FreeBSD.

--
Curt Welch

http://CurtWelch.Com/

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Mikhail Teter » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Honorable Daniel Zappala

=My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
=MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.

By doing so, you'll increase Micro$oft profits and claims -- they will
count your purchase as yet another Windoze computer.

Among other things mentioned in the thread, www.atipa.com seems good...
Never tried any of them myself, though.

        -mi

--
        "Windows for dummies"

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
> anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
> looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
> like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
> from them.

All of these folks seem to produce good FreeBSD boxes:

http://www.asacomputers.com
http://www.atipa.com
http://www.tesys.com/freebsd.shtml

And they seem to meet the minimum criteria for "has a clue about
building a box with carefully selected motherboard, CPU and other
peripherals components which are known to be suitable for use in an
actual UNIX system vs some generic Windows box." - that's unfortunately
not as common as many of us would like.

I don't have any official connection with any of these three folks, I've
just been a direct and satisfied customer of each of them at one time or
another.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  FreeBSD core team / Walnut Creek CDROM.

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Daniel Ts' » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

:
:I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
:anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
:looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
:like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
:from them.
:
:My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
:MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
:I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

        I have bought a number of systems from Atipa (www.atipa.com) and
have been very happy with prices and service. I note that they list on
their Web site that they will preload FreeBSD. I have never tried this with
them, but I am happy with their services in general.

                Cheers,
                Dan Ts'o

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by eswilli.. » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:40:08 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard"

>> I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
>> anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
>> looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
>> like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
>> from them.

Not wanting to start a flame here, but after checking out Apache's
site tonight, I am confronted with this from their homepage:
"In the process, Apache Digital strives to conduct business in
accordance with the teachings of the Lord  Jesus Christ and the
principles of God given in the Bible."  <more biblical propaganda
snipped>.
Now I know that their beliefs have absolutely no connection with the
quality of their systems, I'm just wondering if a free Giddion's <sp>
Bible is thrown in with every purchase?  And..won't the freeBSD devil
get a peeved off if he's running in a "blessed" box??

Ed

For you automated email spammers out there, here's
the email addresses of the current board of the
Federal Communications Commission:

And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by QCSNet, Inc./Quality Computer Service » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

RE: another note on Accurate Automation, Inc. Systems Available through
Quality Computer Services the only authorized dealer. Accurate
Automation is owned by Rodney Grimes a member of the FreeBSD Team

the best in parts for FreeBSD, with of thousands of hours of
testing/burn in behind them.
I was reading the replies in the newsgroup want this 2 cents worth in.
Thanks again.
Rich Ullery
QCSNet Inc./Quality Computer Services
Gresham, Oregon
Voice (503) 661-0507
Fax (503) 666-1765

> I would like to buy a system pre-configured with FreeBSD.  Does
> anyone have a recommendation for a vendor they like?  I have
> looked at Apache Digital (http://www.apache.com) and they seem
> like they may be good, but I don't know anyone who has bought
> from them.

> My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
> MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
> I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

> Thanks,

> Daniel Zappala

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Ted Marti » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 He's a daemon, not a devil :-)

Quote:>Bible is thrown in with every purchase?  And..won't the freeBSD devil

Post by Fred Gilha » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 He's a daemon, not a devil :-)

Quote:>Bible is thrown in with every purchase?  And..won't the freeBSD devil
>get a peeved off if he's running in a "blessed" box??

Yes, and keep in mind the definition of daemon:

japonica:~ > webster
Word: daemon
daemon  var of DEMON

Word: demon

<irrelevant stuff omitted>

 one that has unusual drive or effectiveness - de.mo.ni.an aj

Word:

:-) :-)

--

King Christ, this world is all aleak, / And life preservers there are none,
And waves that only He may walk / Who dared to call Himself a man.

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Juergen Nickels » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> My other alternative is to buy from someone like Micron, wipe the
> MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
> I may want to buy 10-20 of these.

To install 10 or 20 PCs with FreeBSD I would try to just copy the
installed disk using dd(1).

(a) Put seven disks in a PC (assuming you use SCSI), install FreeBSD on
one.

(b) Reboot single user, remount the root disk read-only (to have a clean
file system) and copy the complete disk with the FreeBSD installation to
the other disks in succession. The command is something like "for i in 1
2 3 4 5 6 ; do dd if=/dev/rsd0s1c of=/dev/rsd${i}s1c ; done" (depending
on your installation, and I'm not completely sure about the device
entries). This will take some time.

(c) Take out six of the disks and put in another six. Repeat at (b).

Beware: This *should* would, but I had no opportunity to try it.

--
Juergen Nickelsen

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by Tony Porcz » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> MS software and install FreeBSD on my own.  That would be fine, but
>> I may want to buy 10-20 of these.
>To install 10 or 20 PCs with FreeBSD I would try to just copy the
>installed disk using dd(1).
>[...]
>Beware: This *should* would, but I had no opportunity to try it.

That's what we do in our classrooms.  It works perfectly.  A single SCSI
II 1 GB disk takes approx. 6 minutes.  I don't have the script handy
right now, but the exact syntax should not be too hard to figure out.

t.

GIT/ED d++(!d) s++:++ a? C++++ USB++++$ P+ E- W(--) N++ !k w--- M- V?

Buying a FreeBSD system

Post by felix.dartmo.. » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

That's the wrong Apache:  Here is the right Apache:

http://www.apache.org/

Quote:>Not wanting to start a flame here, but after checking out Apache's
>site tonight, I am confronted with this from their homepage:
>"In the process, Apache Digital strives to conduct business in
>accordance with the teachings of the Lord  Jesus Christ and the
>principles of God given in the Bible."  snipped>.
>Now I know that their beliefs have absolutely no connection with the
>quality of their systems, I'm just wondering if a free Giddion's
>Bible is thrown in with every purchase?  And..won't the freeBSD devil
>get a peeved off if he's running in a "blessed" box??

>Ed

Buying a FreeBSD system

http://www.apache.com/

Quote:> >Not wanting to start a flame here, but after checking out Apache's
> >site tonight, I am confronted with this from their homepage:
> >"In the process, Apache Digital strives to conduct business in
> >accordance with the teachings of the Lord  Jesus Christ and the
> >principles of God given in the Bible."  snipped>.
> >Now I know that their beliefs have absolutely no connection with the
> >quality of their systems, I'm just wondering if a free Giddion's
> >Bible is thrown in with every purchase?

That made me wonder a bit to.  But I've dealt with them a lot over the
past year.  I've bought two systems from them and never once did
they try to push their beliefs on me (i.e. no free Bibles, flyers,
strange music-on-hold, etc.) (not counting the message on their web
page...).  They are good company that stands behind their work.  I've
been happy dealing with them.

--
Curt Welch                                            http://CurtWelch.Com/