Grrr again

Post by Richard Tob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:03:44

Install now needs space in /var - potentially *lots* of space - to
packages like perl and X, which makes it hard to upgrade a perfectly
good system that doesn't happen to have any space there.  If the
package system is going to be used for system installation, it should
be a lot more careful.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!

Grrr again

Post by jp » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:49:37

Quote:> Install now needs space in /var - potentially *lots* of space - to
> packages like perl and X, which makes it hard to upgrade a perfectly
> good system that doesn't happen to have any space there.  If the
> package system is going to be used for system installation, it should
> be a lot more careful.

You might want to file a change-request PR about this.

Grrr again

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:34:27

Quote:> Install now needs space in /var - potentially *lots* of space - to
> packages like perl and X, which makes it hard to upgrade a perfectly
> good system that doesn't happen to have any space there.  If the
> package system is going to be used for system installation, it should
> be a lot more careful.

RTFM

man pkg_add

  The environment variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, in that order, are taken
  to name temporary directories where pkg_add will attempt to create its
  staging area in.  If these variables are not present or if the directo-
  ries named lack sufficient space, then pkg_add will use the first of
  /var/tmp, /tmp or /usr/tmp with sufficient space.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Grrr again

Post by Richard Tob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:14:06

Quote:>> Install now needs space in /var - potentially *lots* of space - to
>> packages like perl and X, which makes it hard to upgrade a perfectly
>> good system that doesn't happen to have any space there.
>  The environment variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, ...

So how do you set them during installation?

Quote:> ... then pkg_add will use the first of
>  /var/tmp, /tmp or /usr/tmp with sufficient space.

There was plenty of room (700MB) in /usr/tmp, but it didn't use it.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!

Grrr again

Post by Steven G. Kar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:05:00

>>> Install now needs space in /var - potentially *lots* of space - to
>>> packages like perl and X, which makes it hard to upgrade a perfectly
>>> good system that doesn't happen to have any space there.

>>  The environment variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, ...

> So how do you set them during installation?

I never install packages from sysinstall nor do I
install packages during an installation.  But,
if you go to the Options menu, you can view/set
many different variables.  One of these variables
is the temporary directory used during package extraction.

Quote:>> ... then pkg_add will use the first of
>>  /var/tmp, /tmp or /usr/tmp with sufficient space.

> There was plenty of room (700MB) in /usr/tmp, but it didn't use it.

Sysinstall apparently only uses a VAR_PKG_TMPDIR variable.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Grrr again

Post by Richard Tob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:11:09

Quote:>> So how do you set them during installation?

>I never install packages from sysinstall nor do I
>install packages during an installation.

Well neither did I, as far as I knew.  But things have changed so that
this happens without you asking for it.  As far as I knew, I never
used perl at all.

Quote:>But,
>if you go to the Options menu, you can view/set
>many different variables.  One of these variables
>is the temporary directory used during package extraction.

Well, now it's happened I'll know to look for it next time, but I
still don't think it's a good idea.  It's one thing for package
installation to require disk space once the system is up and running,
quite another for an upgrade to require lots of extra space.  At the
very least, this should be prominently advertised.  Upgrade
installations are the thing that should be *most* reliable and
straightforward.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!

1. : Hardware woes again [HDs *grrr*]

I just bought a new 486DLC computer.  I finally got the HD
[a 420meg Conner IDE] installed.  I got everything working under
DOS.  I tried booting Linux to install it onto the machine.

Linux is getting parameters for my new HD

as 965 cyl, 17 sects, 20 head
        when it really is:
826 cyl, 63 sects, 16 heads

Linux says my ST-506 interface is proabably non-standard, which I
don't believe.  And Linux panics when is tries to write a sector
for no good reason.  :)

I have
4 meg RAM
Cyrix 486DLC with co-processor
IDE card(s) [I have tried many with no luck]
AMI BIOS [copyrighted 1992]
Trident 8900B SVGA
420meg IDE, Conner

Under AMI, type 47 specs are stored at 0:300

Is there a way to easily tell Linux what the real parameters are?
What do cause this in the first place?

Note, I believe everything works under DOS, but I don't want to
install DOS fully.  *grin*

        Thanks,
                Dan
--

        "The longer I stare at this screen; the blanker it gets."
                                                Linux: try it, you'll like.

2. Open Windows

3. Building Glibc 2.1.2 again, again and again

4. gcc

5. Splitting c.o.l Again, and Again, and AGAIN!!!

6. find hangs

7. Again, again, and again

8. upgrading Solaris 7 to 8?

9. LinuxMall spams again and again and again...

10. Rant, help needed, *problems* Grrr. Plea!

11. Grrr.. solaris 9 boot cdrom

12. Installing 4.2 on 43P from CD..grrr

13. Grrr...