Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 using FreeBSD as a demand dial router

Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 using FreeBSD as a demand dial router

Post by Sinclair Ha » Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I currently have a Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 that uses its own dial up
modem to connect to our ISP every 2 hours and download mail. I desperately
want to remove the modem from the Server and get Exchange 5.5 to connect to
the ISP through a FreeBSD box configured to do demand dialing and NAT via
ppp.

I have everything configured correctly and working but I don't want FreeBSD
to bring the line up everytime something needs emailed out of the office. I
only want it to dial up every 2 hours or so but I do want it to dial
immediately if someone wishes to browse the Web or FTP, etc.

Has anybody out there performed something similiar? The schedule part of
Exchange only works if you have a modem directly attached so I can't think
of any other way at this end to set up the 2 hourly interval. Maybe there
is something that can be done at the ppp end?

Sinclair

Post by Joern Smoc » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I currently have a Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 that uses its own dial up
> modem to connect to our ISP every 2 hours and download mail. I desperately
> want to remove the modem from the Server and get Exchange 5.5 to connect to
> the ISP through a FreeBSD box configured to do demand dialing and NAT via
> ppp.

NAT should not be required for mail.  Does Exchange depend on being
connected to the world in order to work?  Is it necessary to have
*Exchange* retrieve mail from the ISP?

Quote:> I have everything configured correctly and working but I don't want FreeBSD
> to bring the line up everytime something needs emailed out of the office. I
> only want it to dial up every 2 hours or so but I do want it to dial
> immediately if someone wishes to browse the Web or FTP, etc.

(I'm not going to ask what Exchange can do that the FreeBSD box
couldn't do itself...)

Why not have Exchange send all the mail to the FreeBSD box instead of
to the ISP?  You could run sendmail (for example) on the FreeBSD box
and have it deliver mail every two hours (run "sendmail -bd -q2h" and
activate "O HoldExpensive=True" and "F=e" ("expensive") for the
(builtin) smtp in sendmail.cf).

Quote:> Has anybody out there performed something similiar? The schedule part of
> Exchange only works if you have a modem directly attached so I can't think
> of any other way at this end to set up the 2 hourly interval.

Exchange only works when it has a modem?  Is this some kind of
"restricted" version of Exchange?  Maybe you can buy some "Enterprise
Edition" that doesn't depend on the modem being there?

Quote:> Maybe there is something that can be done at the ppp end?

using PPP to civilize Windows? (sorry:-)

Quote:> Sinclair

Joern

1. Using kmail with exchange 5.5 server

We have an exchange server with imap enabled. How can I use kmail to contact it?
What authentication method should I use, what are my username -> someone told me
I have to use the NT domain as part of the username, how? My username also
contains spaces, do I need to escape those in some way?

2. Linux Security (hacking root)??

3. MS-exchange 5.5 DNS configuration on solaris 5.5

4. restrict directory access

5. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

6. Linux ISP, HOWTO

7. Portforwarding and Exchange 5.5

8. loopback trouble

9. Any suggestions regarding an Exchange 5.5 alternative?

10. PPP Dial on demand + dial in server CO-EXIST Peacefully ?

11. Caching DNS on network behind dial on demand router

12. linux PC as dial-on-demand router?

13. linux as a dial-on-demand ISDN router?