Post by Luke Sande » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:11:19

Hi. I looked in the FreeBSD handbook for information on setting up my
soundcard, and it told me to "device pcm" and "device sbc" to my
kernel configuration file. My question is, where is the kernel
configuration file? It is obviously not /boot/kernel.conf, as adding
either of these lines to that file will cause an error message. I
don't want to recompile my kernel with sound support (especially since
I have no idea where to get the kernel sources + a compiler for
FreeBSD), but I want to use the modules snd_pcm and snd_pcm. I figured
out how to get /boot/loader.conf to load these modules, but there's
obviously more to it than that, as it still tells me "device not
configured" when I attempt to access /dev/dsp.

Luke

Post by Peter W » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:04:19

Quote:> Hi. I looked in the FreeBSD handbook for information on setting up my
> soundcard, and it told me to "device pcm" and "device sbc" to my
> kernel configuration file. My question is, where is the kernel
> configuration file? It is obviously not /boot/kernel.conf, as adding
> either of these lines to that file will cause an error message. I
> don't want to recompile my kernel with sound support (especially since
> I have no idea where to get the kernel sources + a compiler for
> FreeBSD), but I want to use the modules snd_pcm and snd_pcm. I figured
> out how to get /boot/loader.conf to load these modules, but there's
> obviously more to it than that, as it still tells me "device not
> configured" when I attempt to access /dev/dsp.

Please study the Handbook about the Kernel Compilation chapter.

Post by Steve Ahrend » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:11:40

> Hi. I looked in the FreeBSD handbook for information on setting up my
> soundcard, and it told me to "device pcm" and "device sbc" to my
> kernel configuration file. My question is, where is the kernel
> configuration file? It is obviously not /boot/kernel.conf, as adding
> either of these lines to that file will cause an error message. I
> don't want to recompile my kernel with sound support (especially since
> I have no idea where to get the kernel sources + a compiler for
> FreeBSD), but I want to use the modules snd_pcm and snd_pcm. I figured
> out how to get /boot/loader.conf to load these modules, but there's
> obviously more to it than that, as it still tells me "device not
> configured" when I attempt to access /dev/dsp.

> Luke

(as root)
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV snd0 (or snd1 etc)
That should be all there is to it.  Try 'man MAKEDEV' too.

As for the location of the kernel sources:

As root run '/stand/sysinstall'
choose 'Custom'
choose '5 Distributions'
choose 'B Custom'
choose 'src'
choose 'sys'
Then Cancel back so you can choose the Media and commit.

Once it's installed you can 'cd /sys/i386/conf' to edit your kernel.
Read the Handbook for instructions.

If I've made any typos I hope someone jumps in with corrections.

Steve

Post by Erik Nygre » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:46:51

Quote:> Once it's installed you can 'cd /sys/i386/conf' to edit your kernel.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386.conf actually.

Quote:> Read the Handbook for instructions.

> If I've made any typos I hope someone jumps in with corrections.

Fixed :-)

--
Erik Nygren
e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t

Post by James Poo » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:55:27

the config file it's refering to is in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
copy GENERIC to something (ie. MYBOX)
then add the pcm and sbc devices to the new file
"config MYBOX"
"cd ../../compile/MYBOX"
"make depend && make && make install"
then reboot.

the BSD handbook is a VERY usefull tool
http://www.bsdmall.com/freebhan.html

> Hi. I looked in the FreeBSD handbook for information on setting up my
> soundcard, and it told me to "device pcm" and "device sbc" to my
> kernel configuration file. My question is, where is the kernel
> configuration file? It is obviously not /boot/kernel.conf, as adding
> either of these lines to that file will cause an error message. I
> don't want to recompile my kernel with sound support (especially since
> I have no idea where to get the kernel sources + a compiler for
> FreeBSD), but I want to use the modules snd_pcm and snd_pcm. I figured
> out how to get /boot/loader.conf to load these modules, but there's
> obviously more to it than that, as it still tells me "device not
> configured" when I attempt to access /dev/dsp.

> Luke

1. Sound modules get loaded, but no sound card in the system

Hi,
    I moved a Redhat 6.1 drive to another computer. I deleted
the isapnp.conf file. I deleted the references to the sound card
in /etc/conf.modules There is no sound card on this computer,
yet the sound modules still get loaded. Also the kudzu screen
comes up each time I boot up.
                                                        Thanks
                                                            Mike

2. Maximum Disk Size

3. Problem executing sound device on server machine and output to sound device

4. Unstable remote login

5. How do I run my stereo sound device as two sound devices???

6. Redirecting ftp to local machine

7. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

8. Web Jobs at gw2k

9. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>

10. Sound Card support Loaded as module?

11. Sound: Replace beep with other sound thru pc speaker/sound card?

12. Question about buffering on modern sound cards (and performance under load)