HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Georg Wagne » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I upgraded from via cvsup from 2.2.5 to 2.26. First I have build a
generic kernel and everything worked fine. Than I have build a
customized kernel and removed unused devices. This kernel also
worked well and I could boot with it. Than I got the idea to remove also
the unused devices from
the /dev directory.

After a little thougt I decided that this was not such a good idea and
started ./MAKEDEV all.

When I wanted to boot the next day I got an shell and I found out that
the devices
/dev/sd1s01a - /dev/sd1s1h where missing only sd1a to sd1h where there.
Though I created them
after mounting the root partition on an other mount point (Forcing the
mount of root failed with the
message in the subject line) using:

ln rsd1a rsd1s1a and sd1a sd1s1a .... (and so on)

This worked fine for the /usr /var and the /home partitions. When I boot
now I get the message:

rsd1s1a clean (fir all used partitions).

But the root partion mount fails withe the message: Specified device
does not match mounted device.

When I boot with the 2.2.5 kernel Everything works fine. There I get the
message :
Changing root device to sd1a

and every partition will be mounted.

So what is going on? And what can I do to get around this problem

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92

HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Lee Johnsto » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I had this problem when I upgraded from 3.0-SNAP 6/Oct/97 to
3.0-CURRENT.

It turned out that when I made world, mount wasn't built properly, it
kept
complaining about _localtime_r, I made mount manually and installed it,
this
solved the prob.

Regards,

Lee.

> I upgraded from via cvsup from 2.2.5 to 2.26. First I have build a
> generic kernel and everything worked fine. Than I have build a
> customized kernel and removed unused devices. This kernel also
> worked well and I could boot with it. Than I got the idea to remove also
> the unused devices from
> the /dev directory.

> After a little thougt I decided that this was not such a good idea and
> started ./MAKEDEV all.

> When I wanted to boot the next day I got an shell and I found out that
> the devices
> /dev/sd1s01a - /dev/sd1s1h where missing only sd1a to sd1h where there.
> Though I created them
> after mounting the root partition on an other mount point (Forcing the
> mount of root failed with the
> message in the subject line) using:

> ln rsd1a rsd1s1a and sd1a sd1s1a .... (and so on)

> This worked fine for the /usr /var and the /home partitions. When I boot
> now I get the message:

> rsd1s1a clean (fir all used partitions).

> But the root partion mount fails withe the message: Specified device
> does not match mounted device.

> When I boot with the 2.2.5 kernel Everything works fine. There I get the
> message :
> Changing root device to sd1a

> and every partition will be mounted.

> So what is going on? And what can I do to get around this problem

> --
> Georg Wagner
> ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92
> Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich

--
Lee Johnston (NIC Handle: LJ1507)

http://www.*world.demon.co.uk/

Post by Georg Wagne » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>  not match mounted device.

> I got this message all through upgrade to 2.2.6.  Check your kernel
> config file for the "config kernel root on <device>..." line & see if
> the device matches the one that has the root partition.  Don't remember
> if that's what fixed it for me or not.

This I have done. It did not help

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92
Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich

HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Georg Wagne » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I had this problem when I upgraded from 3.0-SNAP 6/Oct/97 to
> 3.0-CURRENT.

> It turned out that when I made world, mount wasn't built properly, it
> kept
> complaining about _localtime_r, I made mount manually and installed it,
> this
> solved the prob.

> Regards,

> Lee.

This might be the cause. I did a "make world "after the kernel build. And in
the beginning
(I think before the "mount world" ?) it worked. I'll give it a try.

Thank you

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92
Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich

HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Georg Wagne » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hallo Lee,

It was'nt that. I 've rebuilt the mount stuff, but that did not change the
behaviour during the
boot sequence. It looks like the release 2.2.6 is unusable for people building
it from source.

Regards

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92
Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich

HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Mike Pumfo » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>started ./MAKEDEV all.

This by default does not create the disk slice devices(or at least mine
didn't). You need to create them manually by doing:

sh -c MAKEDEV sd0s1

which will create sd0s1[a-h]

You will need to do this using the 2.2.5 kernel.

Quote:>rsd1s1a clean (fir all used partitions).

>But the root partion mount fails withe the message: Specified device
>does not match mounted device.

This is caused because /etc/fstab needs to be updated so that all partitions
are specified using the newer slice devices e.g.  sd0s1a
As with the MAKEDEV stuff above this should be done with the 2.2.5 kernel.

I had this problem when going from 2.2.2 to 2.2.6 from source.
On my system I had 2 disk partitions allocated to FreeBSD / on an IDE
disk and /usr on a SCSI disk.

The FreeBSD partition was the second partition on the IDE disk so I changed
the /dev/wd0a to /dev/wd0s2a. The FreeBSD partion was the first partition
on the SCSI disk so I changed /dev/sd0e to /dev/sd0s1e.

The slice numbers map as follows:

1-4     Primary disk partitions
5-9     sub partitions in an extended partition.

HTH

Mike

Post by Georg Wagne » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >started ./MAKEDEV all.

> This by default does not create the disk slice devices(or at least mine
> didn't). You need to create them manually by doing:

> sh -c MAKEDEV sd0s1

> which will create sd0s1[a-h]

> You will need to do this using the 2.2.5 kernel.

Yes exactly that was the problem. I had  recreated this missing devices with
hard links
to sd1a - sd1h which worked for 2.2.5 but not for 2.2.6. Deleting the hard
links and calling
sh -c MAKEDEV sd0s1  solved the problem.

Thanks to all who helped.

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92
Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich

1. specified device does not match mounted device

I admin, but do not own, a box that was needed for another task.
Someone copied the contents of the scsi drives to ide drives,
which were placed in a new machine.

When booting on the new machine, the root device is not found
since the boot sequence is looking for the scsi drives.  From the
mount root prompt, I can point the boot to /dev/ad0s1 and the boot
proceeds in single user mode.  None of the devices
/dev/ad0s1a,c,e,f are made so I cannot mount /usr and /var, but
disklabel shows the partitions as existing.  When I try to
MAKEDEV, it fails because the file system is read only.

If I try to remount / on /dev/ad0s1 with mount -u, I get the
message:
/dev/ad0s1 on / :specified device does not match mounted device

however, mount shows / is mounted on /dev/ad0s1

If I try with /dev/ad0s1a, mount returns file does not exist.

Any suggestions?

Al

--
Albert Kinderman      Department of Management Science
       California State University, Northridge

2. Promise FastTrak 100

3. OpenGL and Linux

4. pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

5. XPilot compile give ld error

6. Please help me understand IDE device node naming scheme and mounting DOS parts. ??

7. SVGAlib problem

8. HELP needed: Solaris PCI device driver, device not auto detected.

9. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

10. PCMCIA problem: Device info does not match JEDEC info!

11. Problem with 2.4.14 mounting i2o device as root device Adaptec 3200 RAID controller?

12. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092