Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

Post by vector_sig » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:53:02

Hi there:

  Cable modems automatically slows you down to the preset bandwidth so
you get a fair share of the cable. Is it possible to tweak it so you
can get more out of it (if you don't care about justice :-))?

  Thanks for any enlightenments.

vector sigma

Post by John Nielse » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:41:23

> Hi there:

>   Cable modems automatically slows you down to the preset bandwidth so
> you get a fair share of the cable. Is it possible to tweak it so you
> can get more out of it (if you don't care about justice :-))?

>   Thanks for any enlightenments.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:  probably not, even for the short term, and almost certainly
not in the long term.

Longer still answer:  On certain networks with certain hardware it used to
be fairly straightforward to re-program your cable modem so it wouldn't
artificially cap your bandwidth.  Often this involved some combination of
network address spoofing, snmp and tftp.  The truth is, the technology has
matured since then, and the providers have gotten (at least slightly)
smarter.  Bandwidth limiting is now generally performed on the provider's
end of the connection.  So even if you can convince your cable modem that
you are the cable company, you probably won't gain much by reprogramming
it.  Further, you run the risk of improperly programming it, voiding the
warranty, and having your service cut by your provider.  Simply not worth
it IMO.

JN

--
(Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail)

Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

Post by Simon Chan » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:13:51

To Vector_Sigma,

Recall a story on www.slashdot.org a while ago about a youngster (in his
*s) who decided to live dangerously and found a way to remove all
bandwidth restraints on his cable modem.  He lived large for about six hours
(doing mp3s and whatnot) before AT&T Broadband found out what he was doing
and shut him down - permanently.  He has been barred for life by AT&T
Broadband (despite his pleadings that it was a lapse in judgment), and
barred from his dad's computer since that's what he was using to live it up.
Now he is forced to use a crummy 56K modem to check his email.

M*of the story:  People can make excuses about having a "lapse in
judgment", but really it just boils down to greed and theft.  In other
words, yes, there is a way to do it and break the contract, but no, please
don't do it.  Be happy with what you have.

Regards,

Simon Chang

> Hi there:

>   Cable modems automatically slows you down to the preset bandwidth so
> you get a fair share of the cable. Is it possible to tweak it so you
> can get more out of it (if you don't care about justice :-))?

>   Thanks for any enlightenments.

> vector sigma

Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

Post by fozekize » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:40:03

yes and no. but, you also have to remember that just because you might be
able to tweak your modem that doesn't mean that yer gonna get great
bandwidth...all that depends on the status of the lines themselves and
whether or not your ISP is controlling the bandwidth on their end.

--
--charlie pelletier
--litmus(mp3.com/litmus)

> Hi there:

>   Cable modems automatically slows you down to the preset bandwidth so
> you get a fair share of the cable. Is it possible to tweak it so you
> can get more out of it (if you don't care about justice :-))?

>   Thanks for any enlightenments.

> vector sigma

1. Tweaking DHCP to get max bandwidth from cable modem

I was talking to someone today (who I probably won't see again,
unfortunately) at the shop I work in, and he mentioned something
interesting. He had just installed a network for someone else, running
Suse linux as a server, connected to a cable modem.

The service around here is 512kbps max. He is getting 2mbps, by doing
something to the DHCP settings, and using a 10/100 NIC instead of (I
assume) a 10mbps NIC. He said something about forcing DHCP to take as
much bandwidth as it could (?). He also mentioned something about
squid, although I can't remember what :-(

He said that this 'bug' will only work with linux (the cable company
don't support linux). I'm running Mandrake Security and getting the
standard 512k. BTW, I'm in the UK.

Any ideas?

Ben

2. display on browser

3. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

4. offtopic question [Re: Shujit doesn't work with Forte and

5. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

6. Problem - help please!!

7. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

8. linux hangs up and zero dtime?

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. DHCP/cable modem doesn't respond

11. Newbie - Help - RH 6.0 doesn't recognize cable modem

12. Cable modem: DHCP works - NAT doesn't (ipfilter problem?)

13. tc and bandwidth limiting: What am I doing wrong?