Virtual IP's off a single interface

Post by Thomas Ren » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to set up some virtual IP addresses for my FreeBSD machine.
I've searched the web site and the FAQ(and I'm sure I missed it) but
couldn't find anything. Can someone please enlighten me on how to add
virtual IP address to a single NIC. I'm running version 2.7.1(and yes
I'm upgrading as soon as I have some time!!!).

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Virtual IP's off a single interface

Post by David van Gey » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I thought it was like this:

ifconfig [interface] inet alias [ip address] netmask 255.255.255.255  (if on
same subnet)

>> Hello,

>> I'm trying to set up some virtual IP addresses for my FreeBSD machine.
>> I've searched the web site and the FAQ(and I'm sure I missed it) but
>> couldn't find anything. Can someone please enlighten me on how to add
>> virtual IP address to a single NIC. I'm running version 2.7.1(and yes
>> I'm upgrading as soon as I have some time!!!).

>ifconfig <interface> <ip> alias

>This should have been pretty easy to find, I think?

>Eivind.

Virtual IP's off a single interface

Post by Max File » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Try this command line:

ifconfig ed1 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

You will want to change ed1 to your actual NIC device and enter
the actual IP address you want to alias in  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

>Hello,

>I'm trying to set up some virtual IP addresses for my FreeBSD machine.
>I've searched the web site and the FAQ(and I'm sure I missed it) but
>couldn't find anything. Can someone please enlighten me on how to add
>virtual IP address to a single NIC. I'm running version 2.7.1(and yes
>I'm upgrading as soon as I have some time!!!).

>Thanks in advance,
>Thomas

Virtual IP's off a single interface

Post by Eivind Eklun » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hello,

> I'm trying to set up some virtual IP addresses for my FreeBSD machine.
> I've searched the web site and the FAQ(and I'm sure I missed it) but
> couldn't find anything. Can someone please enlighten me on how to add
> virtual IP address to a single NIC. I'm running version 2.7.1(and yes
> I'm upgrading as soon as I have some time!!!).

ifconfig <interface> <ip> alias

This should have been pretty easy to find, I think?

Eivind.

Virtual IP's off a single interface

Post by Jim Flower » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

ifconfig ed0 inet real.ip netmask real.netmask.
ifconfig ed0 inet virtual.ip netmask virtual.network alias
and -alias to undo it.