Can't boot FreeBSD 4.2 for Alpha

Post by James Macnico » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:01:52

I am trying to boot FreeBSD 4.2 from floppies so I can do an FTP
installation.  The machine is a 433MHz PC164 (21164A) with 128MB,
ZLX-pE2 video card, DE-500 10/100 Ethernet, Asus SC-200 SCSI.  It will
read both disks but when it comes to ask me what kind of console I'm
on (which is the very first thing it does once the kernel starts after
the second floppy is loaded) I can't type anything.  Note that I had
to type <Enter> when the second disk was loaded so they keyboard
*does* work.

Anyone know what might be going on, and how to solve it ?

Thanks.

--
James Macnicol

Can't boot FreeBSD 4.2 for Alpha

Post by Thomas Mullal » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:44:15

I'm having the exact same problem.
I've tried versions 4.1 and 4.2 and get the same problem.
My hardware is an old Alpha Station 200.

thanks,
-tom

> I am trying to boot FreeBSD 4.2 from floppies so I can do an FTP
> installation.  The machine is a 433MHz PC164 (21164A) with 128MB,
> ZLX-pE2 video card, DE-500 10/100 Ethernet, Asus SC-200 SCSI.  It will
> read both disks but when it comes to ask me what kind of console I'm
> on (which is the very first thing it does once the kernel starts after
> the second floppy is loaded) I can't type anything.  Note that I had
> to type <Enter> when the second disk was loaded so they keyboard
> *does* work.

> Anyone know what might be going on, and how to solve it ?

> Thanks.

> --
> James Macnicol

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. Program to dial a pager number

3. Help! Can't boot FreeBSD 4.2.

4. select & PIPE_BUF in solaris ?

5. sa0 on FreeBSD/Alpha 4.2

6. /usr/sbin/adduser patch

7. FreeBSD 4.2-BETA / Alpha + ZIP

8. Fedora 1 on D865PERL with SATA RAID 1 (Mirror) -- Will it work?

9. Can't logout of KDE2 (under FreeBSD 4.2)

10. apache don't start in FreeBSD 4.2

11. FreeBSD 4.2 kernel doesn't like my ide controller

12. GDM doesn't work under FreeBSD 4.2 ?

13. FreeBSD 4.2 -- install won't see my Maxtor drive