FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Kelly Hardin » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:18:33



hi,

I've got FreeBSD 4.5 installed on my pc (dual p/pro 200 (PR440FX m/b),
256mb, 2940U2W scsi, MGA Mil 2mb)).

I have a problem in that the copepage/keymap or charset for users other
than root are incorrect.

For example under the root login i can cycle through previous commands when
doing repetive operations or delete characters properly. However under
another user account I created pressing the 'up' key just gives a bunch of
non-english/extended chars.

I can see by /.login_conf that there is a space for setting this up
perhaps. The problem being I don't know the correct settings for my keymap
to put in there.

I live in the UK so need the keymap to reflect this.

Any help with how to solve this, or where to look for an answer to it would
be kindly recieved.

Thanks,

Kelly

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Philip Paep » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:55:37


[...]

Quote:> I have a problem in that the copepage/keymap or charset for users other
> than root are incorrect.
> For example under the root login i can cycle through previous commands when
> doing repetive operations or delete characters properly. However under
> another user account I created pressing the 'up' key just gives a bunch of
> non-english/extended chars.

What shells are these users using?  Do the shells support command histories
and such?  I use tcsh(1) for my users and csh(1) for root - both can handle
histories nicely (given correct settings).  This has nothing to do with
codepages.

Quote:> I can see by /.login_conf that there is a space for setting this up
> perhaps. The problem being I don't know the correct settings for my keymap
> to put in there.
> I live in the UK so need the keymap to reflect this.

In your shell's RC file (.cshrc, most commonly) stick something to the effect
of:

 setenv CHARSET en_GB.ISO8859-15

This will allow you to print all the characters in the ISO-8859-15 character
set (that includes the Euro ()).

Quote:> Any help with how to solve this, or where to look for an answer to it would
> be kindly recieved.

Just check your shell:

 % echo $SHELL

If it's not 'civilised', install a decent shell, configure it, and it should
work without problems.  Interesting detail: tcsh(1) on FreeBSD 4.5 is a
hardlink to csh(1), so if you just add a 't' before every 'csh' you see in you
passwd file (use vipw(1) or something similar to edit it), it should all work
without issues.

Good luck!

 - Philip

--

  Real programmers never work 9 to 5.  If any real
  programmers are around at 9 a.m., it's because they
  were up all night.

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Natalie Jone » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:22:55




> [...]

>> I have a problem in that the copepage/keymap or charset for users other
>> than root are incorrect.

>> For example under the root login i can cycle through previous commands
>> when doing repetive operations or delete characters properly. However
>> under another user account I created pressing the 'up' key just gives a
>> bunch of non-english/extended chars.

> What shells are these users using?  Do the shells support command
> histories
> and such?  I use tcsh(1) for my users and csh(1) for root - both can
> handle
> histories nicely (given correct settings).  This has nothing to do with
> codepages.

>> I can see by /.login_conf that there is a space for setting this up
>> perhaps. The problem being I don't know the correct settings for my
>> keymap to put in there.

>> I live in the UK so need the keymap to reflect this.

> In your shell's RC file (.cshrc, most commonly) stick something to the
> effect of:

>  setenv CHARSET en_GB.ISO8859-15

I've added that to both .shrc and .cshrc. But I still have the same problem.

Quote:

> This will allow you to print all the characters in the ISO-8859-15
> character set (that includes the Euro (?)).

>> Any help with how to solve this, or where to look for an answer to it
>> would be kindly recieved.

> Just check your shell:

>  % echo $SHELL

this outputs /bin/sh
Thanks,

Kelly

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Gunther Nik » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:53:32



>>  setenv CHARSET en_GB.ISO8859-15

> I've added that to both .shrc and .cshrc. But I still have the same problem.

  .cshrc belongs to (t)csh, just as the name suggest. I have no idea what
  and how .shrc is used.

Quote:>>  % echo $SHELL

> this outputs /bin/sh

  /bin/sh uses .profile

  Gunther

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Philip Paep » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:01:42


[...]

Quote:> > In your shell's RC file (.cshrc, most commonly) stick something to the
> > effect of:

> >  setenv CHARSET en_GB.ISO8859-15
> I've added that to both .shrc and .cshrc. But I still have the same problem.

                          ^^^^^
What's that one?  Does your shell read in that file?  Bourne-variants, I'm
told, read in .profile.

[...]

Quote:> > Just check your shell:

> >  % echo $SHELL
> this outputs /bin/sh

Try changing your shell to something which supports command-history, like
tcsh(1).  Using vipw(1), this can be easily done.

 - Philip

--

  Superiority is recessive.

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by jp » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:43:45





[snip]
>> I've added that to both .shrc and .cshrc. But I still have the same problem.
>                           ^^^^^
> What's that one?  Does your shell read in that file?  Bourne-variants, I'm
> told, read in .profile.

On initial login. It often contains a line such as

  ENV=$HOME/.shinit; export ENV

which will then get read on subsequent invocations of sh.
See sh(1).

[snip]

Quote:> Try changing your shell to something which supports command-history, like
> tcsh(1).  Using vipw(1), this can be easily done.

sh(1) sez it supports command history and editing too.

  set -o vi

or

  set -o emacs

--
  j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .

 
 
 

FreeBSD4.5 copepage/keymap problems

Post by Natalie Jone » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:31:45


Quote:>   set -o vi

> or

>   set -o emacs

Thats sorted that one out now thanks :)