How do I test the network?

Post by Ken Ax » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

OK, I think that I finally have the network up and running. Now, how do
I test it? The tutorial left that out. I know I'm probably asking some
dumb questions, but trust me I have looked for the answers before I've
asked.

Thanks
One slowly catching on newbie
ken axe

How do I test the network?

Post by Tom Kea » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> OK, I think that I finally have the network up and running. Now, how do
> I test it? The tutorial left that out. I know I'm probably asking some
> dumb questions, but trust me I have looked for the answers before I've
> asked.

I've found the book: ``TCP/IP Network Administration'' by Craig Hunt,
published by 0'Reilly & Assoc. to be a useful reference.  It has a
chapter on network testing and troubleshooting, which explains
interpretation of various <ping> outputs, as well as arp, traceroute,
etc.

Quote:> Thanks
> One slowly catching on newbie

It may seem slow at first, but it snowballs as you get familiarized
with your information resources!  Eventually even man pages start
making sense (or seem to...)   :)

cheers,
        tom
--
Why not just drop everything and go fishin'?

        remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

How do I test the network?

Post by Kevin L » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> OK, I think that I finally have the network up and running. Now, how do
> I test it? The tutorial left that out. I know I'm probably asking some
> dumb questions, but trust me I have looked for the answers before I've
> asked.

ping hostname

Quote:> Thanks

--
Kevin Lo

How do I test the network?

Post by discreet77 » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

ping <IP address> or hostname only if you have host name and its IP listed
under /etc/hosts.

DJ