werd errors on login

Post by Glen » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

Freebsd 2.2.2

(1)    Warning Import path contains relative components

(2)    login-getclass: unknown class 'root'

(3)    CLASSPATH not defined

werd errors on login

Post by Philipp Mergenthale » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

> Freebsd 2.2.2
> (1)    Warning Import path contains relative components

It's a bit of a security hole to have relative components (like . - the
current directory) in root's path, because root could end up executing
programs a rogue user placed somewhere. If you're concerned about this,
look at /home/root/.login etc. and change PATH there.

Quote:> (2)    login-getclass: unknown class 'root'

This has been mentioned in this group already some days ago - please look
for the thread "unknown class root in 2.2.2" or something like this.

Quote:> (3)    CLASSPATH not defined

You mean the CLASSPATH for Netscape? When you installed netscape using
the port, then "netscape" starts a wrapper script (/usr/local/bin/netscape)
which sets this variable.

Bye, Philipp

--
P. Mergenthaler   http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/

werd errors on login

Post by Philipp Mergenthale » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

> Freebsd 2.2.2
> (1)    Warning Import path contains relative components

It's a bit of a security hole to have relative components (like . - the
current directory) in root's path, because root could end up executing
programs a rogue user placed somewhere. If you're concerned about this,
look at /home/root/.login etc. and change PATH there.

Quote:> (2)    login-getclass: unknown class 'root'

This has been mentioned in this group already some days ago - please look
for the thread "unknown class root in 2.2.2" or something like this.

Quote:> (3)    CLASSPATH not defined

You mean the CLASSPATH for Netscape? If you installed netscape using
the port, then "netscape" starts a wrapper script (/usr/local/bin/netscape)
which sets this variable.

Bye, Philipp

--
P. Mergenthaler   http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/

werd errors on login

Post by Glen » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

Freebsd 2.2.2

(1)    Warning Import path contains relative components

(2)    login-getclass: unknown class 'root'

(3)    CLASSPATH not defined

werd errors on login

Post by Philipp Mergenthale » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

> Freebsd 2.2.2
> (1)    Warning Import path contains relative components

It's a bit of a security hole to have relative components (like . - the
current directory) in root's path, because root could end up executing
programs a rogue user placed somewhere. If you're concerned about this,
look at /home/root/.login etc. and change PATH there.

Quote:> (2)    login-getclass: unknown class 'root'

This has been mentioned in this group already some days ago - please look
for the thread "unknown class root in 2.2.2" or something like this.

Quote:> (3)    CLASSPATH not defined

You mean the CLASSPATH for Netscape? If you installed netscape using
the port, then "netscape" starts a wrapper script (/usr/local/bin/netscape)
which sets this variable.

Bye, Philipp

--
P. Mergenthaler   http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~un1i/

1. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

Is there anyway to login to an account 'as a normal user' without your
login getting recorded into the last login file.

I know that this is a binary file and no one could re-write it. Moreover,
I know that .hushlogin file could also be created in /etc and that would
tell the system not to record the current login, but you would have to be
GOD (root) to be able to create that file in /etc

So, I would appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer on this
matter.

**     WILLIAM GHORISHI                                           **
**     DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO      **

**     URL          :   http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~93ghoris/    **
**     BELIEF       :   "GOD IS REAL, UNLESS CAST TO AN INTEGER!" **

2. limit on # of envelop addr. sendmail can pass to dlvry agent ?

3. Cde/Console Login error

4. fat32 partition gone!

5. Help! Login Error

6. kernel 2.4.18 and radeon 7500

7. Login Problem - xsessions-error Question

8. Compaq presario differing IRQ's

9. Newbie's user login error

10. Remote Login Error

11. login pasword error

12. Login error - No directory /home/me!

13. login error when a NFS-mounted home is exported without root access