File sharing from a freebsd server to win32 clients?

File sharing from a freebsd server to win32 clients?

Post by Deathreape » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:20:17

I am currently building a server computer and I am loading it up with a
bunch of hard drives. I would like this server to serve as a file storage
server. Now can I use FreeBSD on this machine to allow other windows
computers to have read and write access to the different drives? Or will I
have to go with something like win2000?

File sharing from a freebsd server to win32 clients?

Post by Axel Grune » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:51:53

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:20:17 GMT

> I am currently building a server computer and I am loading it up with
> a bunch of hard drives. I would like this server to serve as a file
> storage server. Now can I use FreeBSD on this machine to allow other
> windows computers to have read and write access to the different
> drives? Or will I have to go with something like win2000?

clients == Windows ?
server == FreeBSD ?
you want == samba

Samba is in the ports. Also look at www.samba.org

asg

File sharing from a freebsd server to win32 clients?

Post by Deathreape » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:28:48

That looks to be but I will need to do. Thanx.

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:20:17 GMT

> > I am currently building a server computer and I am loading it up with
> > a bunch of hard drives. I would like this server to serve as a file
> > storage server. Now can I use FreeBSD on this machine to allow other
> > windows computers to have read and write access to the different
> > drives? Or will I have to go with something like win2000?

> clients == Windows ?
> server == FreeBSD ?
> you want == samba

> Samba is in the ports. Also look at www.samba.org

> asg

1. Need help file sharing using a linux client and a DirecPC Win ME server

Hello

I am running Mandrake 8.0/RedHat 7.1 on clients and Win Me on the
server. Unfortunately, I can't set up the server to run linux  because
of the  DirecPC internet.  Do I have to have 2 ethernet cards to have
both internet through the lan (which is automatically set up during
installation of both redhat and mandrake), and file browsing between
all of the pc's?  Most how-to's I've seen assume the server is linux
and the client is windows.  I use Win Me's internet connection sharing
between the other windows boxes so I know the network is functional.
Is there a how-to that addresses my problem.  I know that I have to
configure my samba.conf file, but I'm not sure exactly how and know
matter what I try, it doesn't work.  I appreciate any help you can
give me.  TIA

2. Ethernet works but most packets are errors

3. ldap server on RH5.0, win32 clients

4. SCO process 0

5. Win32 client to connect to a remote X server?

6. X freezes system on mouse drag?

7. Looking for a CD-ROM-Server Software running on Linux fron Win32-Clients

8. KDE icons missing!

9. IPSec for Linux server and Win32 client

10. Looking for a CD-ROM-Server Software running on Linux for Win32 Clients

11. Windows Client Access to FreeBSD File Server

12. Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client