Installation problem: can't boot from boot floppy

Installation problem: can't boot from boot floppy

Post by Paul Keusema » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install the May 24, 1998 3.0 snapshot onto an older pentium
box I've got at home.  It's currently running Linux without problems but
I can't get the boot floppy past the copyright message.  The boot loader
loads and runs, it loads and uncompresses the kernel, displays the
"Booting the kernel" message, prints out the copyright messages and reboots.

I've checked the boot floppy by reading it back with dd and piping it to
cksum, it compares OK with the image on the CD.  I'm not sure where to go
from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

--

4266 Joppa Court                (612) 894-7805
Savage, MN  55378

Post by Paul Keusema » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install the May 24, 1998 3.0 snapshot onto an older pentium
>box I've got at home.  It's currently running Linux without problems but
>I can't get the boot floppy past the copyright message.  The boot loader
>loads and runs, it loads and uncompresses the kernel, displays the
>"Booting the kernel" message, prints out the copyright messages and reboots.

>I've checked the boot floppy by reading it back with dd and piping it to
>cksum, it compares OK with the image on the CD.  I'm not sure where to go
>from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

FUWFI (Follow Up With Further Info):

Well I also tried the boot floppies from 2.2.6 an 2.2.7.  Both of them hang
during the output of the copyrigight message.

--

4266 Joppa Court                (612) 894-7805
Savage, MN  55378

1. Newbie: CONFIGURE'd boot floppy - won't boot

I successfully performed a UMSDOS install of the Slackware distribution
(from floppy disks A,AP,Q,U) on my laptop:
   Epson 4SLC/25  (486 25MHz)
   4Mb RAM
   120 MB HD

After the installation completed, it prompted me to create a boot floppy,
which I did (and have re-tried several times, but to no avail).

This boot floppy does not boot - the computer goes through the POST, spins
the floppy once, then just sits there dead in the water.

BTW, I formatted this floppy under DOS both with and without /S;  it didn't
make any difference.

BTW also, I am trying to use the idekern kernel (at least until I can get
a regular boot off my boot floppy).

Any ideas?  The Installation-HOWTO isn't very specific about this kind of
problem.

Question:  If I were to boot using the installation boot/root disks, and
           did an "ls" on this troubled boot floppy, what (if anything)
           should I see?

Many thanks!

-Gerard

2. Odin vs Make

3. Installation Problems (Boot Disk Won't Boot!)

4. 2.5.40: problems loading/unloading ide-scsi modules

5. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

6. KDE crashes!!

7. Can't boot from boot floppy

8. Thank you MS

9. Can't Boot frrom Boot Floppy (HELP!)

10. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

11. Boot Floppy Don't Boot

12. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy