New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

Post by Charlie Brewste » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up "X" windows from the 2.2.7 CD set.

I run /stand/sysinstall ... selecting the only procedure which doesn't
just hang my machine (266 MHz Pentium with 64 Mbytes RAM, generic SVGA
display driven with 4 Mbytes graphics card), that is the middle one of
the three offered which leads you through a sequence of shell-script
based questions and answers about sync frequencies etc.

All that works fine, but the program doesn't seem to write the resulting
XF86Config file anywhere the system can find it ... and I can't find it
either ... just a couple of samples in the /usr/X1186/lib/X11/
directory. Consequently, when I run "xstart" with either twm, fvwm2 or
fvwm95 what I get is a display which looks fine, apart from being very
magnified, as if the system thinks I can only support 320 X 200 pixels,
where the machine ordinarily works not-too-bad on 1024 X 768, and very
pleasingly on 800 X 600.

I can probably hack my way through building an XF86Config file the hard
way, but suspect I'm doing something stupid in the way that I'm
approaching it with the /stand/sysinstall route. Can anyone suggest what
the problem might be??

With thanks for help and encouragement received thus far ....

--
Charlie Brewster ... delete .nospam to respond by email
--

New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

Post by Jerry Hick » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi Charlie,

Do you know which chipset your SVGA adapter is based on?

Try "/usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe"  (It is possible this can hang your
system)

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks

--

Jerry Hicks

New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

Post by Charlie Brewste » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for your response Jerry ....

I ran superprobe OK as part of the /stand/sysinstall process, and no probs
with that ... The video adaptor is SiS (manufacturer) Chipset 6326 Rev C3
(according to MS Win95) with 4 Mbytes and DAC Internal. The /stand/sysinstall
list comes up with one SiS video board, but not that one, inevitably.

If indeed /stand/sysinstall wrote the info I entered to disk (which I'm by no
means convinced it did, unless it was very quick about it), have you any idea
where it would put it. I would think in where the sample XF86Config files are,
or perhaps in the root user's home dir, as I'm doing all this as root.

Cheers ... Charlie B ...

--

Post by Jordan K. Hubba » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> All that works fine, but the program doesn't seem to write the resulting
> XF86Config file anywhere the system can find it ... and I can't find it
> either ... just a couple of samples in the /usr/X1186/lib/X11/

Actually, it probably does or your server wouldn't start up at all
when you did the "startx" - it's just not got the right bits in it.

Try typing (by hand, not through sysinstall) either:

        /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup
        /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config

One being the new setup, the other being the old.  With one of these
guys you should be able to do it.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  Co-founder/Release Manager, The FreeBSD Project

New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

Post by Charlie Brewste » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for your help Anthony ... much appreciated ....

After doing a re-install (no major sweat as I'm learning more each time), I
have now got an XF86Config  file .... there seem to be huge numbers of
modelines all active (i.e. not commented out), and the graphics chipset I have
isn't listed in the sysinstall options .... this possibly because it's one of
these new-fangled PCs with all that circuitry built into the motherboard ...

These beasts will probably be increasingly common (they certainly deliver a
lot of very cheap processing power), so I'll post any solution which works ...

Cheers ... Charlie B

--
Charlie Brewster ... delete .nospam to respond by email
--
Support CUT .. The Campaign for Unmetered Telecommunications ..
http://www.unmetered.org.uk/

New User -- Still Persevering"" .. "X" windows help please ..

Post by Charlie Brewste » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Your help much appreciated Jordan ... Thank you ....

After a re-install I have "startx" working again ... and I have found the
XF86Config file :-)

As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of course
many scroll right off the screen .... in MS DOS I would redirect output to a
file .... and there must be a way to do that in bash .... if I can figure it
out, and then get the result into a form where I can transfer the content to
an MS DOS readable text file, I might take the liberty of emailing you for
further advice ....

My graphics chipset is part of the PC motherboard, not a plugin board inserted
in a bus slot ...

Cheers ... Charlie B ...

Post by nepo.. » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of course
> many scroll right off the screen .... in MS DOS I would redirect output to a
> file .... and there must be a way to do that in bash .... if I can figure it

Charlie, I have come to love my "scroll lock" key.  Yes that key above
"home" on your standard 101-key ... press it once, then use the up arrow
key to catch that madly scrolling text.  I think that is just so cool.
It has saved me quite a bit of time in the last three weeks.

regards,
--

  When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum.
        ~ Anonymous ~

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Charlie, I have come to love my "scroll lock" key.  Yes that key above
> "home" on your standard 101-key ... press it once, then use the up arrow
> key to catch that madly scrolling text.  I think that is just so cool.
> It has saved me quite a bit of time in the last three weeks.

Also.....

X startup messages come out on stderr, that's why the stdout redirect
(">") doesn't redirect the output to a file.  You need to redirect
stderr to stdout with a "startx > startx.out 2>&1".

- K.C.

Post by chris/rema » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of course
> many scroll right off the screen .... in MS DOS I would redirect output to a
> file .... and there must be a way to do that in bash .... if I can figure it
> out, and then get the result into a form where I can transfer the content to
> an MS DOS readable text file, I might take the liberty of emailing you for
> further advice ....

I found   "startx &> /tmp/startx.log"  works quite well

regards, chris

--
Christopher Day

Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM

Post by Charlie Sors » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

= > As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of course
= > many scroll right off the screen .... in MS DOS I would redirect output to a
= > file .... and there must be a way to do that in bash .... if I can figure it
= > out, and then get the result into a form where I can transfer the content to
= > an MS DOS readable text file, I might take the liberty of emailing you for
= > further advice ....
=
= I found   "startx &> /tmp/startx.log"  works quite well

Shouldn't that be "startx >& /tmp/starx.log"?

That's the /bin/csh way of redirecting both stdout and stderr to a
file (roughly equivalent to Bourne shell's "program > file 2>&1).

Or am I totally misunderstanding what you're suggesting?

--
Best regards,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby     Wheeling,  WV     "I'm the NRA!"

Post by S.C.Spro » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>After a re-install I have "startx" working again ... and I have found
>the XF86Config file
>As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of
>course many scroll right off the screen .... in MS DOS I would redirect
>output to a file ... and there must be a way to do that in bash

Now this is interesting. Personally, I never managed to redirect stderr
to a file in MSDOS without gratuitous help from 3rd party programs
(f.e. to list the spew of pkunzip). Do tell, how do you do that?
I explicitly mean stderr, not stdout. And yet msdos often managed to
*up stdout sometimes, leaving a 0 byte file.

In bash you do
        [command] n>file
with n from  0, 1, 2 (stdin, stdout, stderr) and 'file' a filename

To splice off ('to tee') you do
        [command] n>&file

As an alternative, as others have mentioned, press the scroll-lock key
to examine the terminal history. That history is of limited size, mind,
often less than 200 lines.

scsprong

Post by chris/rema » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

> = > As "X" starts up a lot of text mode messages are spewed out ... and of course
[snip]
> = I found   "startx &> /tmp/startx.log"  works quite well

> Shouldn't that be "startx >& /tmp/starx.log"?

> That's the /bin/csh way of redirecting both stdout and stderr to a
> file (roughly equivalent to Bourne shell's "program > file 2>&1).

> Or am I totally misunderstanding what you're suggesting?

My mistake, you are right.  It's been a while since I have had needed
it.

regards, chris