What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

Post by RWA » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

I'm currently using Netscape.

Thanks.

Post by Michael Maxwel » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

> I'm currently using Netscape.

Opinion: GNUS (XEmacs or GNU Emacs)

--
-
     Michael Maxwell | Certified Unix Geek: BSD/Solaris/SCO

home.xnet.com/~drwho | "Four legs good, two legs bad." -G. Orwell/Animal Farm

Post by David Malo » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

>> I'm currently using Netscape.
>Opinion: GNUS (XEmacs or GNU Emacs)

We still use nn here, and we have a local spool and we're all happy
with it. Mind you - we're a bit "traditional".

        David.

What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

Post by Robert Heining » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000 13:40:43 -0500,

>What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

>I'm currently using Netscape.

>Thanks.

From a Linux user who is about to give FreeBSD a spin (pun intended :-) :

* SLRN *

--
Robert Heininger

Post by Arun Shar » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

> I'm currently using Netscape.

Try slrn from the ports.

        -Arun

Post by Justin Murdoc » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

RWA> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?  I'm currently using
RWA> Netscape.

strn or GNUS (under xemacs)

:
: I'm currently using Netscape.
:

Wow, great way to start a religeous war...

My pick is tin, available in /usr/ports/news/tin

Others will now begin to rip my flesh for this choice.

ericr

What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

Post by Richard Cale » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

r> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?
r> I'm currently using Netscape.

Almost anything is better than netscape.

Gnus is what I use.

--

->:
->: I'm currently using Netscape.
->:
->
->Wow, great way to start a religeous war...
->
->My pick is tin, available in /usr/ports/news/tin
->
->
->Others will now begin to rip my flesh for this choice.
->
->ericr
->

It might not be FreeBSD native,  but slrn ain't too shabby.....

FreeBSD 4.0       Christopher W. Aiken      Scenery Hill, PA

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I'm currently using Netscape.

Which is probably rather at the bottom end... ;-)

Since nobody has been mentioning it so far: knews (which is ``Karl's
newsreader'', not a ``KDE newsreader).

--
cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/                        NIC: JW11-RIPE

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> What is the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

> A matter of taste, of course, but trn is my favorite.

It's not a matter of taste. Trn is simply the best.

miguel

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > A matter of taste, of course, but trn is my favorite.
> It's not a matter of taste. Trn is simply the best.

I hope you are talking about trn4 here.
Apart from the missing documentation, it's MIME handling is
incomplete.

--

What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>>> A matter of taste, of course, but trn is my favorite.

>> It's not a matter of taste. Trn is simply the best.

> I hope you are talking about trn4 here.

> Apart from the missing documentation, it's MIME handling is
> incomplete.

You mean that trn4's MIME handling is incomplete, or that in earlier
versions?

miguel

Post by Kenneth P. St » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> I'm currently using Netscape.

> Which is probably rather at the bottom end... ;-)

> Since nobody has been mentioning it so far: knews (which is ``Karl's
> newsreader'', not a ``KDE newsreader).

Thanks for mentioning that, I always wondered what the K was for. :-)

Anyway, this is the best newsreader I have used to date. I strongly
recommend it.

What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >Apart from the missing documentation, [trn4]'s MIME handling is
> >incomplete.

> How so?

Reading:
  trn4 doesn't have any concept of a terminal character set. It
  "decodes" quoted-printable and base64 back into a an 8-bit
  representation, and spews the results to the terminal. That works
  fine if you limit yourself to a region where effectively a single
  character set is used (e.g. ISO 8859-1 in de.* or fr.*), but if
  you are moving in international waters where different character
  sets are employed, you end up with gibberish.

Writing:
  No MIME support at all, as far as I can tell. I don't particularly
  enjoy having to put for instance =?iso-8859-1?q?...?= manually
  into a subject line or having to add

  to the header, and many people rightly consider this entirely
  unacceptable.

--

1. Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

comments in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

I'm not sure what your point is, but I do recognize you as a well-known
Linux advocate, so I assume you are not saying you agree with the MS
assessment.

First, on NT Workstation, I've used it for enough years to know it is
extremely stable and has plenty of applications, including some key ones
not available for Linux. I see no compelling reason to throw it away in
favor of Linux or any other OS at this point in time.

As for the MS server, it's apparently good enough for the likes of ABC
News and many other major sites. However, for a small-time user like me,
the Apache Web server running on Linux offers much better licensing
terms, to say the least. :-) Also, I've seen plenty of studies that show
Solaris to outperform NT as a server OS. So these are the two options
I'm currently weighing. In other words, either go for the cheap, or, if
I decide to splurge, go for the better of two expensive options.

Here's a question -- What about using Apache on Solaris? This is
possible, right? How does it affect the licensing issues? (My guess is,
not at all.)

Hmm, this thread has drifted away from its stated subject. Time for a
change.
--
roadkill

2. Computone ALC Communications Controller with Red Hat Linux 5.2?

3. What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

4. Linux and IBM Blue Lightning

5. closing active connections

6. XV2 won't compile

7. (OT) The world's best newsreader just got even better...

8. FreeBSD's native java

9. Performance of native FreeBSD partition vs FAT32 partition on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE

10. native Opera for FreeBSD [fwd: 6.1 preview 1 for Linux and FreeBSD available]