PCI Modem troubles... 4.5-release

Post by Gabe Gre » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:45:38

Hi,

How can I verify that my modem is working in FreeBSD?

I have a USR (hardware, not winmodem) PCI modem and it doesn't seem to
be working.

From dmesg (this may not be exact, as I wrote it out by hand, I have
no writable media drives on this machine and NTFS is read only):

sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe800-0xe807 irq 11 at device 8.0 on
pci0
sio0: moving to sio4
sio4: type 16550A

I tried:
# echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa4
and
# echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa0

with no success.  ATZ didn't work either; I didn't hear the modem
dial....

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,
Gabe

Post by ta.. » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:10:36

: Hi,

: How can I verify that my modem is working in FreeBSD?

: I have a USR (hardware, not winmodem) PCI modem and it doesn't seem to
: be working.

: From dmesg (this may not be exact, as I wrote it out by hand, I have
: no writable media drives on this machine and NTFS is read only):

: sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe800-0xe807 irq 11 at device 8.0 on
: pci0
: sio0: moving to sio4
: sio4: type 16550A

: I tried:
: # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa4
: and
: # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa0

: with no success.  ATZ didn't work either; I didn't hear the modem
: dial....

: Where do I go from here?

Install the minicom port and try to play with speed, parity, etc. settings
until it answers AT commands. It is far troublesome to do that with echo
commands as you do. You need to redirect input and output to observe the
answers, you need to play with stty to set speed and parity, etc.

: Thanks,
: Gabe

--

Michel TALON

PCI Modem troubles... 4.5-release

Post by neptune » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 03:52:13

I have a ISDN internal pci modem which I havn't been able to setup, so I
have
to dial into the internet through my Windows XP machine. Do you feel sorry
for me? Anybody got any ideas on how I can test it also, I can't determine
what
device or anything to use?

Quote:> Hi,

> How can I verify that my modem is working in FreeBSD?

> I have a USR (hardware, not winmodem) PCI modem and it doesn't seem to
> be working.

> From dmesg (this may not be exact, as I wrote it out by hand, I have
> no writable media drives on this machine and NTFS is read only):

> sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe800-0xe807 irq 11 at device 8.0 on
> pci0
> sio0: moving to sio4
> sio4: type 16550A

> I tried:
> # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa4
> and
> # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa0

> with no success.  ATZ didn't work either; I didn't hear the modem
> dial....

> Where do I go from here?

> Thanks,
> Gabe

PCI Modem troubles... 4.5-release

Post by Erni » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:10:38

I was present with the same situation some months ago...finally gave
up with the USR PCI modem and bought a Sportster External.  No further
issues...works like a charm with great connect speeds.  I would
suggest not wasting your time and pony up the $$$!!!

Ernie

>: Hi,

>: How can I verify that my modem is working in FreeBSD?

>: I have a USR (hardware, not winmodem) PCI modem and it doesn't seem to
>: be working.

>: From dmesg (this may not be exact, as I wrote it out by hand, I have
>: no writable media drives on this machine and NTFS is read only):

>: sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe800-0xe807 irq 11 at device 8.0 on
>: pci0
>: sio0: moving to sio4
>: sio4: type 16550A

>: I tried:
>: # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa4
>: and
>: # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa0

>: with no success.  ATZ didn't work either; I didn't hear the modem
>: dial....

>: Where do I go from here?

>Install the minicom port and try to play with speed, parity, etc. settings
>until it answers AT commands. It is far troublesome to do that with echo
>commands as you do. You need to redirect input and output to observe the
>answers, you need to play with stty to set speed and parity, etc.

>: Thanks,
>: Gabe

PCI Modem troubles... 4.5-release

Post by Gabe Gre » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:45:13

OK, here's how I fixed this:

Installed the minicom port...

Then did the following as root:

# chown uucp:dialer /dev/cuaa4
# chmod g+w /dev/cuaa4

Modem works perfectly. :-)

Gabe

> > Hi,

> > How can I verify that my modem is working in FreeBSD?

> > I have a USR (hardware, not winmodem) PCI modem and it doesn't seem to
> > be working.

> > From dmesg (this may not be exact, as I wrote it out by hand, I have
> > no writable media drives on this machine and NTFS is read only):

> > sio0: <3COM PCI FaxModem> port 0xe800-0xe807 irq 11 at device 8.0 on
> > pci0
> > sio0: moving to sio4
> > sio4: type 16550A

> > I tried:
> > # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa4
> > and
> > # echo "ATD5555555" > /dev/cuaa0

> > with no success.  ATZ didn't work either; I didn't hear the modem
> > dial....

> > Where do I go from here?

> > Thanks,
> > Gabe

1. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

Hi,

I have upgraded my firewall  using ipfilter with ipnat capablity.
Buildworld process went through smoothly.   But when booting with the
upgraded kernel, booting hangs at the "Local package initialization" ..but
if I hit CTRL-C, it will finish booting and let me log in, without user
intervention, it hangs.

The good part is the firewall allows traffic going in and out, does anyone
know how to get around this problem?

Thanks so much in advance.

Dan

2. Contest 0.34 added to STP - 2.4.20-pre5-ac1 results

3. Altos 2000

4. Promise FastTrak 100 ide raid/freebsd 4.5 release troubles

5. Installation Help

6. trouble installing 4.5 and 5.0 -RELEASE on ASUS MB

7. where to get ncurses 1.8.5?

8. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

9. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

10. Remote Update from 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE

11. u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

12. Matlab 12.1 on 4.5-RELEASE - Java problem?