Installing FreeBSD on old Hardware

Post by David Wag » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I've got an old PC, which I'd like to install FreeBSD on. I've found
that the 4.1 floppies don't have the appropriate hardware drivers on,
but the 3.2 floppies do. However, I can't find an ftp site where I can
download version 3.2. Does anyone know of one?  Any advice appreciated,

David Wagg

Installing FreeBSD on old Hardware

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I've got an old PC, which I'd like to install FreeBSD on. I've found
>that the 4.1 floppies don't have the appropriate hardware drivers on,
>but the 3.2 floppies do. However, I can't find an ftp site where I can
>download version 3.2. Does anyone know of one?  Any advice appreciated,

Would 3.5.1 do?

See ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.5.1-RELEASE
for 3.5.1 (and then cvsup to 3-STABLE or 4-STABLE if desired).

Timothy J. Lee

Post by David Wag » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >I've got an old PC, which I'd like to install FreeBSD on. I've found
> >that the 4.1 floppies don't have the appropriate hardware drivers on,
> >but the 3.2 floppies do. However, I can't find an ftp site where I can
> >download version 3.2. Does anyone know of one?  Any advice appreciated,

> Would 3.5.1 do?

> See ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.5.1-RELEASE
> for 3.5.1 (and then cvsup to 3-STABLE or 4-STABLE if desired).

> --
> Timothy J. Lee
> Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.
> No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

1. FreeBSD 4.3 install hangs on old hardware

I have a FreeBSD CDROM kit version 4.3, April 2001.
I've got this old 386dx with 20M of ram, and I thought "what a great
way to stress-test our software".

I use the two floppies I've burned, krnl.flp and mfsroot.flp and it
gets into the installation kernel configuration.  I remove all the
scsi drivers, leaving the two ATAPI hard drive controllers, and I
remove all the nic drivers just to simplify my life right now (there
is a nic...I just don't want to mess with it for this problem.)  I hit
Q and the installation proceeds to print 5 lines:
avail memory = 16547840 (16160K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc03fa000.
Preloaded mfs_root "/mfsroot" at 0xc03fa084.
md0: Preloaded image </mfsroot> 360448 bytes at 0xc03a0f87
md1: Malloc disk

----
then it hangs. Hmmmmm.

I'm at a loss.  Any ideas?

I have freshly formatted the floppies and they have no bad sectors.
I tried this with another set of floppies, just in case.
I have tried both sets of floppies on a slightly more modern computer
and it cranks up right away.
I've tried one AT controller, and the other.

-s

2. What the lastest verison of AIX for PS/2 ?

3. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

4. PPPD dial-in help needed

5. Old hardware with FreeBSD

6. can't mount 3.3 FS on 4.0

7. CD writer CDD3610 from Philips

8. Help! Installing Debian on old hardware

9. Nogo on raggedy old pentium 200 / Best hardware for pc IA install

10. X Windows and my old old old old video card

11. Problems installing FreeBSD 5.0 on old 386

12. Help FreeBSD 3.1 Install on old DEC HX90 dies with sig 10 on cpio