MIPS-ultrix-> freeBSD install? POST Y2K

Post by k » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I have a dead (TM) ultrix box on my hands.
Specifically, this box was never patched with the necessary
Y2K-compliant date functions; it lived through December, but
is now completely non compos mentis. (Will not complete its
boot sequence).

Any pointers on tricks I could use to boot this box (from
another machine- or from- god forbid- a tape drive)... into FreeBSD
or into a FreeBSD install?

And a happy thought for all: if the world's vital systems all ran
on unpatched Ultrix 4.2, Y2K *would* have been somewhat of a
bigger deal.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated-

K. B. Russell
Programmer/ Analyst, Oberlin College Development Resources

ignore, override, become

Post by Chris Costell » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Any pointers on tricks I could use to boot this box (from
> another machine- or from- god forbid- a tape drive)... into FreeBSD
> or into a FreeBSD install?

   FreeBSD does not support the MIPS architecture.  Please try
OpenBSD (http://www.OpenBSD.org/) or NetBSD
(http://www.NetBSD.org/) instead -- they support that
architecture (among many others!).

1. MIPS-ultrix-> NetBSD install? POST Y2K

Hi, I have a dead (TM) ultrix box on my hands.
Specifically, this box was never patched with the necessary
Y2K-compliant date functions; it lived through December, but
is now completely non compos mentis. (Will not complete its
boot sequence).

Any pointers on tricks I could use to boot this box (from
another machine- or from- god forbid- a tape drive)... into NetBSD
or into a NetBSD install?

And a happy thought for all: if the world's vital systems all ran
on unpatched Ultrix 4.2, Y2K *would* have been somewhat of a
bigger deal.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated-

K. B. Russell
Programmer/ Analyst, Oberlin College Development Resources

ignore, override, become

2. Simple hack to get $500 to your home.

3. Help installing FreeBSD on a MIPS machine

4. RH up2date Problem: A package [x] could not be found.

5. working MMAP in Ultrix/MIPS

6. diamond viper

7. Compiling term107 on MIPS (Ultrix)

8. HPLJ4MP Printing Problem - Please HELP

9. modem connection between ultrix(MIPS) and UNIX(sunsparc2)

10. modem connection between ultrix(MIPS) and unix(SUN sparc2)

11. Ultrix/mips

12. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

13. Y2K and microVax Ultrix