sendmail: Rewriting 'from' and 'reply-to' addresses...

sendmail: Rewriting 'from' and 'reply-to' addresses...

Post by kient.. » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm sure this has popped up elsewhere:

* I want to be able to read/send email conveniently from the
  FreeBSD machine I use at home.
* This machine does not have (and will not have) a fixed IP address
  or public domain name.
* I'm a big fan of 'elm', it's simple and I like it that way.

Receiving mail from a pop mailbox seems no problem; use 'popclient'
to pull the mail and deliver it to a local mailbox.

But sending mail is a problem:

* Sendmail keeps trying to use the local machine's name for
  'from' and 'reply-to'  This is bad; the local machine's name is
  a pure fiction, and shouldn't appear on the global Internet.
* I have to use a local mail transport agent because nobody
  does SMTP relaying any more.
* As an experiment, I've used Netscape's mailer, with the
  return address set to the address I want; this works just
  fine (local sendmail gets the message and delivers it).
* But, I don't want to use Netscape (I already have a mail program
  I like, thank you very much!)

   this would be configurable per-user (I have multiple accounts
   on my FreeBSD machine that I would like to associate with
   different external POP mailboxes.)

Ideas, pointers?

                        -Tim Kientzle

Post by Staffan Ulfber » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>    this would be configurable per-user (I have multiple accounts
>    on my FreeBSD machine that I would like to associate with
>    different external POP mailboxes.)

You can use the user database, I think.  Make a file with two lines
per user (call it, for example, /etc/userdb):

user:maildrop           localuser

"mailname" and "maildrop" are reserved words and tell sendmail what
kind of informaiton is on the line.  a ":mailname" line tells sendmail
to rewrite "localuser" into whatever is on the right.  A ":maildrop"
line tells sendmail a local user name for the name "user" (which might
otherwise not exist on the local system) -- you could also make an
alias instead for this, I guess.

Now type "makemap btree /etc/userdb.db < /etc/userdb" to produce the
database file that sendmail uses.

For this to work, sendmail needs to be compiled with USERDB.  Type
"sendmail -d0.1" and look for the name "USERDB" after the "Compiled
with:" output.  If it's there, your sendmail is compiled with USERDB
enabled -- otherwise you'll have to recompile.  (The one that comes
with FreeBSD has USERDB enabled already, I think.)

An alternative is to use the "genericstable" FEATURE in the m4 file:

GENERICS_DOMAIN(`name.of.localhost')dnl
FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl

Then, sendmail uses a database in /etc/genericstable.db to translate
outgoing addresses.  (The default is to use a "hash" type of
database.)  The file has a number of lines looks like this:

Convert it to a hash db file by typing "makemap hash
/etc/genericstable.db < whatevery you called the file".

Staffan

Post by William R. Soms » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm sure this has popped up elsewhere:

> * I want to be able to read/send email conveniently from the
>   FreeBSD machine I use at home.
> * This machine does not have (and will not have) a fixed IP address
>   or public domain name.
> * I'm a big fan of 'elm', it's simple and I like it that way.

> Receiving mail from a pop mailbox seems no problem; use 'popclient'
> to pull the mail and deliver it to a local mailbox.

> But sending mail is a problem:

> * Sendmail keeps trying to use the local machine's name for
>   'from' and 'reply-to'  This is bad; the local machine's name is
>   a pure fiction, and shouldn't appear on the global Internet.
> * I have to use a local mail transport agent because nobody
>   does SMTP relaying any more.
> * As an experiment, I've used Netscape's mailer, with the
>   return address set to the address I want; this works just
>   fine (local sendmail gets the message and delivers it).
> * But, I don't want to use Netscape (I already have a mail program
>   I like, thank you very much!)

>    this would be configurable per-user (I have multiple accounts
>    on my FreeBSD machine that I would like to associate with
>    different external POP mailboxes.)

> Ideas, pointers?

>                         -Tim Kientzle

I've been working on such a thing on my home machine, and will
(hopefully) be writing it up for the use of people here at work.

Department of Physics, Box 351560                B432 Physics-Astro Bldg
Univ. of Washington, Seattle WA 98195-1560                  206/616-2954

Post by stephen farrel » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>    this would be configurable per-user (I have multiple accounts
>    on my FreeBSD machine that I would like to associate with
>    different external POP mailboxes.)

> Ideas, pointers?

Did you look at 'masquerading' in sendmail config README?

--sf

 :
 : * I want to be able to read/send email conveniently from the
 :   FreeBSD machine I use at home.
 : * This machine does not have (and will not have) a fixed IP address
 :   or public domain name.
 : * I'm a big fan of 'elm', it's simple and I like it that way.
[.....]
 : Ideas, pointers?

Have you looked at the FAQ ?

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/ispmail.html

 :                         -Tim Kientzle

--

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>

Post by Georg Wagne » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > > But sending mail is a problem:

> > >    this would be configurable per-user (I have multiple accounts
> > >    on my FreeBSD machine that I would like to associate with
> > >    different external POP mailboxes.)

 It's quite easy. You are looking for masquerading in sendmail-parlance (no
ip-masqerading).

For the machine/domain  you have to add a line like

Dm your_providers_domain

For the user-masquerading you should look up a feature called userdb.

Regards

Georg

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92

Post by Peter D. Pawel » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>For the user-masquerading you should look up a feature called userdb.

Of course, if you want to be really lazy and have root access you can simply
set up another account with a user name corresponding to the username for
your POP account. You'll still have to masquerade the domain name, as mentioned
earlier.

1. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Hi.

I was trying to retrieve 'mac address' via composing small program.

First, I used 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' (<- Comment of this is '/*ethenet
address*/'.)
 with 'iotcl' and 'CSIOCGIFCONF'.
As(?) u know, I couldn't retrieve 'mac address'.
Then, I used 'arpreq.arp_ha'. I could get 'mac address'.
But, this code, using 'arpreq.arp_ha', is not working correctly in
Linux.
Ok,ok, I see. Linux is not Unix. :)

here is the point. I'm so curious what is diffrence of 'ethenet
address' from 'mac address'.

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?
What is diffrence of 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac address'?

Your kind explaination or pointing out some useful URL will give BIG
HELP to me.

Thanks.

2. By passing start up screen

3. What're '!'and'%' in email address

4. Cardinal ISDN support in Linux?

5. Mail problem: I don't get the 'error' replies !

6. ***YP on diff subnet ***

7. What is '%'and'!' in email address

8. Corrupt utmp/wtmp...

9. cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

10. 'mail'/'sendmail' with higher priority??

11. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

12. 'double' or 'dbl' or 'dble', the disk space utilty