MD5 checksum for Dec23 3.4 ISO image?

Post by Stephen E. Halp » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I downloaded the ISO image for 3.4, dated December 23, and
I seem to have the right file length.  When I went to get
the MD5 file, it appears to have been updated to go along
with the new ISO image dated December 29.  Can someone pass
along the MD5 signature associated with the original ISO image
(Ill get the updated ISO image when my subscription arrives,
so Id rather not loose another day downloading the new image.)

As a complete aside, I noticed that the README.TXT file
references the possibility of a gzipped ISO image from
some sites - is there a reason that gzipped ISO image
wasnt posted on ftp.freebsd.org?  It seems that it would
reduce the load on both the server and on the network...

-Steve

MD5 checksum for Dec23 3.4 ISO image?

Post by Sin Key-Tec » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

MD5(3.4-install.iso)= 8e1ff85769969fec553c6b6635dc57bc

size=647710720?

kt

> I downloaded the ISO image for 3.4, dated December 23, and
> I seem to have the right file length.  When I went to get
> the MD5 file, it appears to have been updated to go along
> with the new ISO image dated December 29.  Can someone pass
> along the MD5 signature associated with the original ISO image
> (Ill get the updated ISO image when my subscription arrives,
> so Id rather not loose another day downloading the new image.)

> As a complete aside, I noticed that the README.TXT file
> references the possibility of a gzipped ISO image from
> some sites - is there a reason that gzipped ISO image
> wasnt posted on ftp.freebsd.org?  It seems that it would
> reduce the load on both the server and on the network...

> -Steve

MD5 checksum for Dec23 3.4 ISO image?

Post by Alan Core » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> As a complete aside, I noticed that the README.TXT file
>> references the possibility of a gzipped ISO image from

Since most of the files on the CD are already compressed, you don't
gain that much by compressing the ISO file.  Some
compression/decompression usually takes place in transferring anyway.

I suspect a big reason not to have both compressed and uncompressed is
that it takes essentially twice as much space (2 versions) on the
server.  Also on the user's end there's the need for 600+ megs to
download the compressed version into, then 650 megs more to store the
ISO that you can burn from.  For a lot of people that's at best an
inconvenience.

  Alan Corey

1. The real MD5 checksum for 4.3 ISO?

:
: I downloaded the 4.3 ISO from 2 different FTP sites, but each time got a
: MD5 value of:
:
: The checksum file says it should be:
:
: a5dd6cca3a5bb724afb8f1564c2c4d9b
:
        When I downloaded the ISO to my laptop, the above MD5
   value was returned. When I downloaded via NT, I got different
   checksums once the image was finally on a FreeBSD system. I
   think NT was "helpfully" compressing the file.

                                                        Bruce
  "I like bad!"                               Bruce Burden    Austin, TX.
        - Thuganlitha
        The Power and the Prophet
        Robert Don Hughes

2. SPREADSHEET FOR THE SUN