question concerning ppp dialup, chap, and adding routes

question concerning ppp dialup, chap, and adding routes

Post by Eric V. Smit » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This question really is not FreeBSD specific, but is user ppp specific.  I
don't really know where to ask this, but since I know Brian reads this list,

I've got one FreeBSD 2.2.5 machine dialing into another 2.2.5 machine, both
using user ppp.  The authentication is done with CHAP.  All this works fine.
I'm using the ppp from 12/30/1997 on both the client and server.

The problem is that when the connection is complete, I need the server to
add a route to the network that the client is the gateway for.  I don't see
where I would do this.  The client machine is dialing into a bank of modems,
so it doesn't get a fixed tty, so I can't tie it to the tty.  All that's
really unique is the user name being logged in as, which I use to assign the
IP address in ppp.secret. But where do I add the route?  I can't do it in
linkup, because I don't have a unique "my" address.  All of the dialins use
the same server address in order to conserve addresses.  All that's unique
is the client userid and address.

I also can't do this before the call is made because I don't know what
interface I'll end up using.

Any clues?  I've thought about modifying the source to also look up the
client address in the linkup file.  Is this such a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.

Eric.

question concerning ppp dialup, chap, and adding routes

Post by Eric V. Smit » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

The more I think about this, the more inclined I am to change ppp to read
ppp.linkup for both the userid (if PAP/CHAP) and then the other side's IP
address.

Any thoughts?

Of course, I'm still hoping there's another way to do this.

Eric.

>This question really is not FreeBSD specific, but is user ppp specific.  I
>don't really know where to ask this, but since I know Brian reads this
list,
<problem deleted>

Post by Brian Some » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

 : This question really is not FreeBSD specific, but is user ppp specific.  I
 : don't really know where to ask this, but since I know Brian reads this list,
 : ....
 :
[...]

The latest ppp (980104) allows a forth argument in ppp.secret :-)
You can specify the label to use from ppp.link{up,down} :-)

With this version you can also

MYADDR:
  add HISADDR 255.255.255.0 HISADDR

 : Thanks in advance.
 :
 : Eric.

--

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>

1. MCI's dialup PPP and Linux pppd CHAP

I have successfully hacked out scripts to connect with a couple of
PPP accounts, but have had no success connecting to MCI's dialup
PPP.  The problem is that internet MCI uses the Challenge Handshake
Authentication Protocol and I have no experience with this beast.

According to the LINUX Network Administration's Guide, the file of
interest is chap-secrets located in the /etc/ppp/ directory, and
containing the following information:

# client          server           secret                addrs
#--------------------------------------------------------------------
vlager.vbrew.com  c3po.lucas.com   "Use The Source Luke" vlager.vbrew.com
c3po.lucas.com    vlager.vbrew.com "riverrun,pasteve"  c3po.lucas.com

However, after reading the man page for pppd, as well as the various
HOWTOs found on the latest Slakware distribution disks, I'm slightly
confused.  Just exactly what is the format I must use in chap-secrets
for the slakware distribution?  Essentially all I have from internet
MCI is a shared-secret (my password), a userid, and their IP address
and server name.

To date I've only gone so far as to manually dialup this provider and
invoke pppd from the command line in effort to debug the thing.  The
messages generated are somewhat cryptic and lend no clue as to whether
or not my chap-secret file is correct, or if it's even found by pppd.

Generally I use: # pppd -d /dev/cua2 38400 , but I have tried other
options which were of no apparent benefit.  Most likely the problem is
my lack of understanding of the chaps-secrets file format.  Although
I've tried several variations, I've had no success to date.  Perhaps
someone reading this group has already done what I'm trying to do, or
has the necessary knowledge.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Grevelle

2. startx core dumps on new installation of Red Hat

3. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

4. Problem with Athlon 500 & GB 7IX

5. Adding new HD questions/concern

6. 2.5.73 - SCSI cache data unavailable messages

7. HELP! PPP dialup terminal server (routing problem?)

8. elm says mail is arriving

9. Solaris 2.5 PPP and Win95 PAP/CHAP Question

10. PPP/PAP/CHAP Questions

11. Please help on this PPP CHAP question?

12. CHAP dialup... how??

13. Kppp and CHAP login to dialup ISP