Problems with display

Post by DanR » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:02:32

Hi all,

I just installed 4.6 ansd I seem to be having a problem with my display

When I startx is comes up fine but the actual screen size is much larger
than the monitor size.  If I move the mouse from side to side I the screen
moves with it.  So I though no problem.  I went in to sysinstall and

and a Matox Millenium II with 8M of RAM.  The Vid Card is using the "mga"
driver for the Millenium II.  When I want to exit out of sysinstall and save
the configuraiton, it gives me an error:

"The xfree86 configuration process seems to have failed.  Would you like to
try again?"
                                                    Yes    No

If I click on yes, It just brings me through sysinstall again and the same
error will come up.  If I click on No, It just brings me to the desktop.  I
also tried it at the shell prompt without x started and I get the same
error.  Through all of this I was logged in as root.  Can anyone shed some
light as to why this would be happening?  Maybe any thoughts as to what my
monitor and card settings should be?

Thanks
Dan

Problems with display

Post by Conrad Sabatie » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:02:13

>Hi all,

>I just installed 4.6 ansd I seem to be having a problem with my display

>When I startx is comes up fine but the actual screen size is much larger
>than the monitor size.  If I move the mouse from side to side I the screen
>moves with it.  So I though no problem.  I went in to sysinstall and

>and a Matox Millenium II with 8M of RAM.  The Vid Card is using the "mga"
>driver for the Millenium II.  When I want to exit out of sysinstall and save
>the configuraiton, it gives me an error:

>"The xfree86 configuration process seems to have failed.  Would you like to
>try again?"
>                                                    Yes    No

>If I click on yes, It just brings me through sysinstall again and the same
>error will come up.  If I click on No, It just brings me to the desktop.  I
>also tried it at the shell prompt without x started and I get the same
>error.  Through all of this I was logged in as root.  Can anyone shed some
>light as to why this would be happening?  Maybe any thoughts as to what my
>monitor and card settings should be?

I'm not sure if the mga driver is the right one or not for your
particular card.

You should try running "xf86cfg -textmode" from the shell.
--

For free admission to the Clueless Usenet Posters Club (fastest growing
group on the Internet), simply quote this entire article (including this

Problems with display

Post by Kromag » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:34:23

Just a question to help me out DanR...which packages did you select to
install the X? I'm having problems on selecting them... :)

Thank you.
Kromagg

> Hi all,

> I just installed 4.6 ansd I seem to be having a problem with my display

> When I startx is comes up fine but the actual screen size is much larger
> than the monitor size.  If I move the mouse from side to side I the screen
> moves with it.  So I though no problem.  I went in to sysinstall and

> and a Matox Millenium II with 8M of RAM.  The Vid Card is using the "mga"
> driver for the Millenium II.  When I want to exit out of sysinstall and
save
> the configuraiton, it gives me an error:

> "The xfree86 configuration process seems to have failed.  Would you like
> try again?"
>                                                     Yes    No

> If I click on yes, It just brings me through sysinstall again and the same
> error will come up.  If I click on No, It just brings me to the desktop.
> also tried it at the shell prompt without x started and I get the same
> error.  Through all of this I was logged in as root.  Can anyone shed some
> light as to why this would be happening?  Maybe any thoughts as to what my
> monitor and card settings should be?

> Thanks
> Dan

1. A problem about Display(Maybe a dumb problem)

  Hi all,
      I have installed RH 6.0 on my computer and work in GNOME.
      But when I telnet to an Sun Sever and run some X program such as
clock,admintool,it
says                                                        "XView
error: Cannot open connection to window
       server:myhostname:0    (Server
package)

       Error: Can't open display: myhostname:0"
                      What's the problem?
                      Any help is appreciated!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Newbie Questions Part III(?) - RedHat Linux 4.2

3. XFree86 Problem - no display upon attempting to exit X to get to console

4. Is there any unix for 286?

5. Unusual problem with display on 7009

6. AIMS Video Highway Extreme

7. Problem with display/S3 Vision 864 video card

8. top

9. Problem with $display under tkHTML

10. Problem with displaying remote X apps under Redhat 5.0

11. A dumb problem about Display

12. X Windows Problem with Display

13. Compaq Armada 4160T. Problems with Display.