Ejecting CDs when no disc in drive

Post by Ritz, Brun » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:29:39

Hi

CDCONTROL is able to eject CDs then there is a media in the drive. When I
try to eject the tray while no disc is inserted, it does not work...

How can I eject an empty tray?

Thanks
Bruno

Post by Philip Paep » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:12:22

> CDCONTROL is able to eject CDs then there is a media in the drive. When I
> try to eject the tray while no disc is inserted, it does not work...

> How can I eject an empty tray?

  # camcontrol eject -n cd -u 0

Replace '0' by the unit number of your drive.

 - Philip

--

  BOFH Excuse #213:
    Change your language to Finnish.

Ejecting CDs when no disc in drive

Post by Ritz, Brun » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:23:23

The man page says something about SCSI among other things. There is noting
about IDE. My CD drive is an IDE drive. camcontrol does not work on that
drive. I don't even have CAM stuff compiled into my kernel for the entire
system uses IDE.

How can I do this eject thing with IDE drives (cdcontrol does not work with
empty trays)?

Thanks
Bruno

> > CDCONTROL is able to eject CDs then there is a media in the drive. When
> > try to eject the tray while no disc is inserted, it does not work...

> > How can I eject an empty tray?

>   # camcontrol eject -n cd -u 0

> Replace '0' by the unit number of your drive.

>  - Philip

> --
> Philip Paeps

Quote:

Post by Philip Paep » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:42:00

> > > CDCONTROL is able to eject CDs then there is a media in the drive. When
> > > I try to eject the tray while no disc is inserted, it does not work...

> > > How can I eject an empty tray?

> >   # camcontrol eject -n cd -u 0

> > Replace '0' by the unit number of your drive.

> The man page says something about SCSI among other things. There is noting
> about IDE. My CD drive is an IDE drive. camcontrol does not work on that
> drive. I don't even have CAM stuff compiled into my kernel for the entire
> system uses IDE.

Ah, alright, you didn't mention anything about IDE in your original post.  I
wrongly assumed SCSI.  Sorry about that.

Quote:> How can I do this eject thing with IDE drives (cdcontrol does not work with
> empty trays)?

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this easily.  I
played about with the CDIOCEJECT ioctl, but it doesn't appear to work on a
drive without a disc inserted.

Funny thing is that camcontrol _will_ work on an atapicam-emulated IDE drive.
I haven't been able to find where it implements the eject bits, but then I
haven't looked very far...

If building a kernel with atapicam is an option, I think it's the one to go
for?  If that isn't an option, I'm sure the eject bits are in the atapicam
code *somewhere*.

Good luck :-)

 - Philip

--

  A little humility is arrogance.

Ejecting CDs when no disc in drive

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:16:38

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:23:23 +0100

RB> The man page says something about SCSI among other things. There is
RB> noting about IDE. My CD drive is an IDE drive. camcontrol does not
RB> work on that drive. I don't even have CAM stuff compiled into my
RB> kernel for the entire system uses IDE.
RB>
RB> How can I do this eject thing with IDE drives (cdcontrol does not work
RB> with empty trays)?

        It works with IDE drives too if you have the atapicam options
built into your kernel (a recent -stable or the patches).

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                            |   http://www.sohara.org/

Ejecting CDs when no disc in drive

Post by Ritz, Brun » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:34:28

That works. Thanks.

And what about closing the tray? I did not find anything to do that...

Thanks
Bruno

When
work...

> > >   # camcontrol eject -n cd -u 0

> > > Replace '0' by the unit number of your drive.

> > The man page says something about SCSI among other things. There is
noting
> > about IDE. My CD drive is an IDE drive. camcontrol does not work on that
> > drive. I don't even have CAM stuff compiled into my kernel for the
entire
> > system uses IDE.

> Ah, alright, you didn't mention anything about IDE in your original post.
> wrongly assumed SCSI.  Sorry about that.

> > How can I do this eject thing with IDE drives (cdcontrol does not work
with
> > empty trays)?

> As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this easily.
> played about with the CDIOCEJECT ioctl, but it doesn't appear to work on a
> drive without a disc inserted.

> Funny thing is that camcontrol _will_ work on an atapicam-emulated IDE
drive.
> I haven't been able to find where it implements the eject bits, but then I
> haven't looked very far...

> If building a kernel with atapicam is an option, I think it's the one to
go
> for?  If that isn't an option, I'm sure the eject bits are in the atapicam
> code *somewhere*.

> Good luck :-)

>  - Philip

> --
> Philip Paeps

Quote:

>   A little humility is arrogance.

Ejecting CDs when no disc in drive

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:08:46

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:34:28 +0100

RB> That works. Thanks.
RB>
RB> And what about closing the tray? I did not find anything to do that...

        cdcontrol close - does it nicely enough for me.

        Hopefully there will come a time when a single interface handles
everything nicely, in the meantime with a judicious mix of ATAPI and SCSI
programs most things seem to be possible.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
You lose and Bill collects.                 |  licenses available - see:
                                            |   http://www.sohara.org/

1. Script to eject CD-ROM drive and ask for appropriate CD??

I download lots of large movie files from P2P networks, which I place
on CD-Rs.  I then remove the movie files from my computer, and leave a
reference to the CD.  I would like to create a script that will do the
following when I click on it / execute it:

(1) Eject te CD-ROM drive

(2) Ask me to "Insert the appropriate CD-ROM (i.e., Please insert CD
labelled "FINAL DESTINATION") then press any key"

(3) Wait to proceed until I press a button

(4) If the CD-ROM drive is out, retract it

(5) Check the MD5SUM of the movie file on the CD-R and compare it to
the known MD5SUM of the movie file (which I would have determined
before making the CD) and then play the CD using the appropriate
program (i.e., a DivX player).  Alternatively, if the improper CD was
inserted, it would return to step (1).

2. Serial communication

3. Problem ejecting CD wtih "eject"

4. Modem priority

5. Error while ejecting cd-rom with eject command...

6. boot virus after setup

7. Zip Drive (Root Disk) Ejects upon Booter1.8 bootstart...

8. Totally New Installation of a Cobalt RaQ Mips, possible?

9. Ejecting the CD-ROM Drive

10. Disk Drive on classis doesn't eject

11. ejecting cd-rom from drive, how?

12. How can I eject a MO-disk from Fujitsu MO-drive?

13. Iomega Eternal Zip Drive Will Not Eject Disk